Saturday, February 11, 2023

Dismal work from Jean to Jessica, Lauren and SMash - Hell's Canyon postal delivery

Grab your barf bags - my January envelopes are wretched. I hesitate to even post them - but for some bizarre reason I feel like I should at least share so you know I am trying. These three are just boring - because I needed so many stamps - and it is really hard to get that many stamps affixed in a centered and level manner

I will show two others tomorrow - that are slightly better. I was only on one list in January. Maybe February will be better. Clearly there are no inspirational features on any of these. I guess you can draw a gremlin saying *Grrr* if you are not happy with your design. 




 And I guess the way Susan's name varied the wide and narrow letter is something to try if you have never done it - or to remember it - if you have done it before. It's a really fun technique.

***

This article is from 2021 - so we won't know if anything has changed - but it's a fun article about a couple who delivers mail (and more) in a very remote part of the country - a canyon on the Snake River - between Idaho and Oregon.



I looked for a map - but did not find a good one. Picture the area on the west border of Idaho - that is pretty straight up and down - and then think of the mid-point - right where the Oregon-Washington border runs into Idaho and the Hell's Canyon area is probably towards the Oregon portion. It's a huge area and pretty remote. Maybe my Idaho pen pal who has a name that starts with M will augment my sketchy information. Apologies for not remembering your name -- or maybe I'll do a quick search. <pause> Well that was interesting. I did a search for *Idaho* and found an envelope from her offspring, Jesse. There was another envelope to someone named Bug in Boise. Mejaka is the only thing I can find.

Dang -- I knew there would be an envelope to the Idaho pen pal - and I could not extract myself from looking - and came up with Janna M. H. - So - I'm not sure - but maybe we will hear from her. I think she still had 3 or 4 boys at home - so, it's possible she's just curled up under a blanket. That's where I would be if I had 3 or 4 boys.


2 comments:

  1. Dear Jean, I say with love -- you're wrong! These three envelopes are GREAT! I love them all! If I had to pick, my favorite is the one to Lauren. Is that letter style a combination clothesline and uncial, with a soupçon of Nancy Hills? Super! Now I wish I had a collection of low denomination stamps to steal this idea. My only worry is how the PO will cancel them. My guess is the dreaded Sharpie. Maybe one of the recipients can let us know? Sharon

    ReplyDelete