Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Sharon (3) blue butterfly

The minute this popped up - I knew it was inspired by a white on red envelope I had done for Chuck. Sure enough -- this is what Sharon wrote:

The layout for this envelope was directly copied from your July 7, 2016, post of an envelope to ChuckM. I did use a different lettering style which was prevalent on Yukimi Annand's instagram. I'm not sure if I'd use this layout again, however. While the zip code is easy to read, the address might have been a challenge for the post office. I try to give mail carriers a break, when I can! The card is a watercolor of the California Dogface butterfly, which coordinates with the stamp on the envelope. (The Dogface is also a postage stamp.)

It's so pretty -- I bet the PO was happy to take a little extra time to read it.
 It seems like the butterfly is an homage to the Ukrainian flag - or the flag is an homage to the butterfly and I'm not sure if which color is on top on the flag. I'm 95% sure the blue is on top. Yellow on top would feel bottom heavy. And now I wonder if there is any one-place to learn the stories behind all the flags. Can you imagine the discussions amongst people who needed a flag? Seems like it would be utter chaos. No time to research - if anyone knows of such a book or website - feel free to email me directly - or try to leave a comment - in the less than friendly comment section. It is still working for some people - but not for others (including me) and I have no idea why.

***

Jean's response to Leslie's comment/question below -- I'll have to do some research and find out what exactly works best for the USPS. It seems like some mail can be read by scanners - but I have no idea what kinds of things makes the mail *hard to read - by a scanner.*

1 comment:

  1. RE: unreadable addresses (Maybe I could get your input on this please, Jean?) -- if I do an env. that has an address that might be rather tricky to read, I try to print the address again, smaller below the design (or to the side). Here's an example: https://snailmailingmadness.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2022-04-30T07:35:00-07:00&max-results=7&reverse-paginate=true

    (Yes, it's some "Mail to Myself".) I wrote the name and address in script, and didn't know how well it would be read, so I made sure to print it legibly on its own as well.

    So, Jean, is that helpful or confusing to them?

    ReplyDelete