Friday, June 3, 2022

Kate's Ethel & thank yous

Kate's envelope is a good reminder (to me) to pull out the broad edge markers and do some Neuland when I am feeling rusty. That would require remembering where they are. One of the early activities I worked on while I was recuperating was organizing things. Sadly, the organizational parts of my brain were off having a conference with the lizard. NewJean is going to be re-re-organizing.

 ***

Thank you to Mary for leaving a comment about salsify. Now all I need is a gardener - so that I can grow my own. 

Thank you to Carolyn for agreeing with me that if my rehab includes *coloring* I should be allowed to color in the Book of Kells rather than generic, geometric posters. And I forgot to mention, they do their coloring with markers. Cheap markers. That would be like making Beverly Sills listen to me sing. Or asking Mikhail Baryshnikov to work on his hokey pokey.

Carolyn went on to say that she thought scientist majors should be required to take visual arts and art history. I thanked her for that comment and knew that I could squeeze one more blog post out of the topic. My scientist/mathematician brother (whom Carolyn has met) and I have had spirited conversations over the years about art. I spent the past 3 decades perplexed because none of what I tried to explain seemed to be sinking in. But, lately - he seems to have a lot more insight. Lesson learned: never give up.

From his perspective: I'm sure he is perplexed at how woefully ignorant I am about physics and math and natural science and he'd probably throw in common sense, but, I think that would be going a little too far. So - well rounded education is probably one of those bell curve things. We need some scientists to research this for us.

***

And thank you to Chuck - who found his original inspiration for his May envelope - that we saw yesterday - and sent it along. It's nice to see the inspiration behind a design.




2 comments:

  1. Math, science, ART! This is fabulous, and I say, vive la difference. In my family, I am math/science and my first-born sister is the one who got, or perhaps used up, the cultural gene in our family pool! She majored in English and is currently a docent at the Sacramento Crocker Art Museum. I've made attempts to appreciate the visual arts, yet they just don't stimulate me the way I believe they do certain others. Likewise, certain beauties of mathematics and engineering are beyond her ken. This said, we enjoy corresponding and connect on many other levels. Enjoying the unique expressions of human individuals and experience is an aesthetic accessible to all, in my experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Cheers for Kate's envelope! Very much enjoying how the green lettering goes with the greens and yellows on the Ethel stamps. Maybe I'm picking up on the visual art thing. Oh, and my art museum sister is also a Kate, so there's that!

    ReplyDelete