Thursday, June 16, 2022

Maggie's flowers - Torturing trees

 


Thank you, Maggie, for sending an extra. This is so lovely. I especially like the little lady bug crawling up the leaf. Other details worth noting - a very fine spritz-splatter in the background and some very fine lines in a darker colors to punch up the subtleness of the paint or ink. And the border adds a lot to the composition.

***

The BigHelpfulBrother sent this link to me. My first response was a reaction. Rather than a carefully considered response to the whole concept - my lizard brain freaked out and reacted (OVER-reacted) to the brutality of carving into an innocent tree. It might seem odd that I would be so irrational about carving into a tree - and I do not have any excuse. It might be my silly-billy-brain-cells that anthropomorphize things. Or perhaps I am a highly evolved being who has a connection with trees (plants, rocks, whatever pops up - except not hemlock because I read exactly how you die and it's brutal - but I digress.)

So - decide for yourself what you think of this concept. Or just skip it and go get things done.

https://bjoernkarmann.dk/occlusion-grotesque

At least the guy included *grotesque* in the name of his font. 



Perhaps my revulsion at this has more to do with the way the letters change - as the tree grows. They become very painful looking scars - to my eyes. Maybe some of you think they are lovely. 


1 comment:

  1. I also hate seeing things carved in trees. But I'll admit that I love the changing type... I'm glad to see the tree survived.

    ReplyDelete