Sunday, February 20, 2022

Patty's Oct coffee - Getty book online

 


It seemed like I had posted all the October envelopes, but I couldn't find this one. Maybe it is a repeat. Please tell me if it is. Patty has a note on the back that it was inspired by Claes Oldenburg, one of my all time favorites. Patty's artwork on this is wonderful and I think she should revisit this idea. It's so fun and spontaneous. I just love it. The address is nice and legible. The border didn't seem to interfere too much with the bar code. Nice splatters. 

***

Here is a rabbit hole that could take all day if you wanted a DIY art history lesson. This is just one book (of over 300) that the Getty has put online. I was chore-avoiding and just picked it at random. It features artwork from their collection with easy to read and informative blurbs. Old art and some of the newer art is sometimes rather strange. It's interesting to read the blurbs and see if that helps to make more sense of what's going on. 

Highlights for me were the musicians fighting. Very strange. Also Eros - who may or may not be the same as cupid, I'm hoping someone will clarify that - or maybe I will do a search.

A few with putti, because, seriously, who doesn't love putti. Or maybe that's a grandma thing. 

And then there was a watercolor that caught my eye because it was huge, beautiful, and done on spliced together sheets of paper. If you are interested in it, scroll down to number 20.

https://books.google.com/books?id=IaYdAgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=true

The blurb with this painting mentions the muscularity to the blooms and leaves - forcefully pushing their way through the earth. That's not what I see - but that's the fun of artwork - we can see whatever we like.

Many of the blurbs allude to symbolism. Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't.

There is a wide range of artwork from Renaissance to impressionism. We are a month and 3 days away from spring. Let's hope those spring flowers are muscling their way through the earth.



2 comments:

  1. LOVE this env! (not a repeat) So fun, so cool. Right up my alley! #stealworthy Very nice, Patty!

    ReplyDelete