Friday, February 11, 2022

Clover's Dec envelope and watercolor


Clover is one of our newer exchangers. She is also interested in learning more about watercolor. I’ve emailed her with some tips on her lettering so she wondered if I had tips on watercolor. My only tip is to watch YouTube videos. 


***

After reading this myself - this morning - I have an entirely different perspective - but do not have time to rewrite -- so will add the different perspective in a day or two.


***


My earliest experience with watercolor was simply meeting someone who was masterful and I saw that he worked on numerous pieces at one time. There is a ton of time required for the work to dry before you proceed. And, you have to have the paper *stretched* onto boards - so you need a ton of boards and a ton of space. Some people plan on starting 20 pieces and only a couple will end up in the save pile. Not everyone works that way -- but I would not be interested in wasting that much paper.


Even if you are a watercolorists who can do mostly keepers - there is that component where you can’t paint over any mistakes. So, I simply haven’t done much watercolor. It seems like another medium where it takes tons and tons of time to become very skilled. But, I can’t really think of any medium that is quick and easy. And that’s my humble opinion of watercolor. 


Clover did a nice little watercolor that she thought looked like a tornado. I agree. There is one more tip for any kind of painting. Avoid using the colors straight out of the tubes or pans. All color is made up of all color - so mixing very small amounts of other colors into. your main color gives a more natural appearance to the color.



 

1 comment: