Monday, February 21, 2022

(Christine) Jan-badger style - Cabinland

 


\

Imagine this name on an envelope. It is similar to a style that Janet used. Janet's is all caps and I lapsed into lower case. I suggested that it would be a good style for non-calligraphers to try because it would be forgiving. Finnbadger left a comment wondering if there was a full alphabet available. I quickly penciled a full alphabet and sent it to him. Then I thought of posting it and seeing how many people would enjoy taking it for a spin. 

Of course my version is quite different from Janet's. But, that's the fun of it. You don't really need to follow it carefully. You can use the basic shapes and add whatever kind of curly serifs you like. The bottom photo has a bit of *thickening* on the h. The top photo was taken after I thickened all the letters on the down stroke. Janet's version has lots more thickening everywhere.

If I can get all the letters done by Feb 1st, we can invite exchangers to try the style and see what happens.

***
Well, that didn't happen. I still like the idea of posting a fun and easy style and inviting exchangers to give it a try. Maybe I will get that done for the March exchange. If I included photos of all the projects I have completed at my son's house, it would give a better picture of how I spend my time.
***

Here is Janet's original:  



***


This popped up on DesignBoom. Both the article and the video knocked my socks off.
These two people are creating a fairytale life - if your idea of camping and backbreaking work is a fairytale. I'm sure they would be miserable sitting in cubicles.

There are a bunch of links within the article - and it seems like there was a video - which is hiding at the moment - if you surf around - you might find it.


Here is their IG, if you prefer. There are lots more cabins than just this one. https://www.instagram.com/pnwcabinland/


3 comments:

  1. I try so hard to minimize my screen time, then sweet Jean Wilson destroys my determination in a single blog post. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean, I would enjoy trying any alphabet that you post - speaking as a non-calligrapher. So many inspiring ideas!

    ReplyDelete