Friday, February 4, 2022

J's stacked Maggie - WORDLE


Remember that stacked Janet from a couple days ago? The *rule* was - don't bother with stacking 4 chunks on that skinny T at the end. Well, any skinny letter can be a problem. The I is notorious for causing problems and I am pretty adamant that it needs to be cleverly hooked in with other letters. I seldom, if ever see a stacked I on it's own that I think works. 

So, I'm happy with how this I tucks in. The double G isn't the best - but it's OK. My deepest regret is that I did the address with the bold marker. I need to use Sharpies on these shimmer envelopes and should have taken time to find a juicy fine tip. Grrrrr.

***

Wordle: a new online game that seems to have gone viral, but, I am including it because I know there are some readers who love the word games and maybe they have not seen this one. It took me way too long to figure out the very, very simple rules. I'm guessing that was my residual discombobulation. Below is a screen shot of one of my daily tries.

My first guess told me that the word had an A and it was the second letter - green means that it is in the right position.

My second guess just ruled out M-K-E-R

My third guess ruled out U and D and let me know that there was a G, in a different position.

Then it took me a while - with pencil and paper - to plug in the rest of the letters that had not been tried - until I found TANGY. And -voila- that was the word.

The keyboard records which letters you try - and turns them dark gray so you don't try them again.

The hardest thing for me to remember is that just because the A was green and the G was yellow - either of those letters could have been used a second time. So SAGGY might have been the word - except that S was ruled out in the first line.

Here is the link:  https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

If you just search for WORDLE - you get that *cloud word picture* app that's been around forever. But, the man who invented the game has a last name: Wardle. So - Wordle is really the only logical name for his game. Many people are familiar with the game - in a simple pencil and paper format, between two people - where one of them knows that the word is - and the other one does the guessing. Mr Wardle seems to be the first one to put it into a game for the whole world to play - and you do not need a partner.


Here's an article on strategy:

https://www.wired.com/story/best-wordle-tips/

***

Update -- the NYTimes bought Wordle - so we might need a new link. I'll replace this one as soon as I figure this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment