Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Mike's Spencerian - ballpoint video

 


It amused me to put Mike's envelope with a blurb about ballpoint pens. Clearly, he uses very fine vintage nibs and ink.

I always enjoy finding the teeny-tiny details in Mike’s work. There is a Merry Christmas on the band under the bird. And the addressing is exquisite. I don’t post personal photos. There was one on the enclosed card and I was tempted to just crop out the people and show you the adorable little dog - wearing an ever-so-proper strand of pearls. It takes a very special pup to pull off pearls. Maybe Mike will give me permission to run a photo of Louie. 


I will be happy to run photos of pets if you want to send them to me. The BigHelpful Brother and I have had lengthy discussions about living with non-humans during my two stints as a substitute *parent* to my son’s pet. I don’t know what to call the people who share homes with pets. Is everyone part of the same family? *Owner *doesn’t sound right at all. Feel free to let me know the appropriate term. Parents? Roommates? Housemates? Fellow-inmates? Cellmate? Kindred spirits? Hostages?


***

Attention all ball point pen aficionados - here is an 8 minute video from JetPens that explains some interesting things about ballpoint pens and the various options in ink. I love ballpoint pens. In the video, many of the loopy test patterns that they show have blobby ink. I can't imagine why they didn't figure out how to make the ink smooth. I have several of the pens that they show and I do not have blobby problems.

The title, How the Ballpoint Pen Changed the Way We Write - caught my eye. It has to do with needing to hold the ballpoint more upright than the fountain pen. It was worth the 8 minutes to learn that. It seems so obvious - I do it intuitively. But, I had not been able to assign that to all the issues with egregiously awful pen grips. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvhutUpqzNQ

Of course, you can always go to their main channel and view all kinds of videos on pens, markers, and other kinds of highly addictive materials.

https://www.youtube.com/c/JetPensOfficial/videos


2 comments:

  1. Caregiver is a popular term for people who share their homes with pets. Better than some of the anthropomorphic terms like Doggy Daddy. My friend, Olga, however, calls me her “lady in waiting.“

    ReplyDelete