Thursday, February 3, 2022

ChristineNY's monsters - high end painting


Shout out to Christine in NY. This arrived in December and you can't imagine how much I appreciated all the time it took. Plus there was a lovely letter enclosed that I am so tempted to share. But, it would make me look very *full of myself* because Christine had such nice things to say about the blog. I might highlight the things she mentioned without quoting her directly.

Don't miss the adorable little gray postage stamp zigzag along the edge of the envelope. A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E. Sadly, I can't remember if I have written a proper thank you to Christine --- <sigh>
****

There might have been a mention of me pet sitting for the first week in January and butting in to the *feathering of the nest* of my almost 34 year old son while he was gone. He was not upset with anything that I did - so, I'm cautiously optimistic that I can do a bit more during my 2-week stint while he is at USPS Big Machine School (or whatever they call it). 

As we reviewed all the things I had done, the only topic to which he responded, "We'll have to table this and come back to it," was when I suggested that the stickers on his stereo speakers, collected in high school and college were very *frat house* and there probably wasn't any way to include them in the *eclectic* styling of his house. Keep in mind, he has an authentic Eames chair, so he knows the difference between frat house and mid-century modern. His house is a 1922 bungalow - with quite a bit of the original charm still in place.

As I research ideas for his house, I run across some truly amazing people. These two knocked my socks off. They have inspired me to patch and restore the wallpaper that came with the house. On the tabs, under [Works] are an amazing array of techniques and actual painting on homes and furniture. I suppose there are also some commercial spaces. I wonder how competitive this field is.

https://uriunuance.com/glaze-painting-2

***

Update on the wallpaper restoration. I am so happy with what I have accomplished -- and SO MAD at myself that I did not take good *before* photos -- because the paper was literally shredded. I was amazed at how easy it was to glue things back in place. Now I have to paint in a few places where the shreds were gone.

2 comments:

  1. Is your son going to Norman, Oklahoma? I went years ago for bulk mail training and I still remember the food! Also met a lotta nice people from all over the country but the meals were awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - Hunter is at the training facility in Norman. He has met lots of nice people from all over. Because of his years in the restaurant business, he can tell the difference between things made *in-house* and things that are *packaged.* He thinks they do a good job - considering it is not a *fine-dining* experience. He heard that the food service company is the same one that provides meals at the state prison and the Norman food is waaaaaay better than prison food.

      The part where you do not have to cook or go find a restaurant is attractive.

      If your training was *years ago* - that was probably back in the day when there were fewer *packaged* options and more things made on site. I remember how delicious the food was in my college cafeteria in 1969. It was lovingly made by the nicest ladies. I gained my freshman 15 by the time I went home for Thanksgiving. When I ate college cafeteria food in the 1990's at one of the international calligraphy conferences - I was shocked at the quality. Everything tasted like cardboard.

      Delete