Thursday, February 10, 2022

Nanski's Dec envelope (Watercolor & Wyeth)


Pointed pen loveliness from Nanski. It is Feb 7 as I write this and I need to start my Feb exchange envelopes. This inspires me to get out the pointed nibs.


Tomorrow I will be talking about watercolor. Since we need more words today, I will talk about Andrew Wyeth. As I pondered watercolor as a medium, I couldn't think of many (any) really well known artists who worked in watercolor and I wondered why I couldn't think of any. I asked a friend of mine and she thought of a couple who did some watercolor work, but not exclusively. We discussed - wondering what is it with watercolor that makes it so popular for wildlife art and illustration - but not *fine* art. Neither of us thought of Andrew Wyeth at the time. 


Andrew Wyeth is the *poster boy* for the endless debate on that *fine line* where artists are considered to have reached that level that seems to defy definition. We did not figure it out why watercolor seems to be a *lesser* medium - or if that is just our imagination. If anyone wants to weigh in on this topic - please do. I feel like I might have forgotten important artists who should not be forgotten.


The only reason I remembered Andrew Wyeth was from an article that popped up in the NYT. Two islands that the Wyeth family has owned have been donated to Colby College in Maine. I surfed around a bit - reading about Andrew Wyeth. The debate over his *standing* has not been settled. It is often said that he was an illustrator, not an artist. Then I wondered if that was because he worked in watercolor most of the time. 


Here is the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/02/arts/design/andrew-wyeth-colby-college-acquisition.html?searchResultPosition=1


NYTimes usually lets people have a few articles for free. I get mine free through my library card.

Apologies if you can't read the article - but there is a ton of information about the Wyeth family if you Google.

And when was watercolor invented? Did it come after egg tempera? I recall that egg tempera was very old. I don't even know when oils started. Geesh. I need to go back to school. Maybe there is a well researched website - just waiting for me. AllTheStuffICantRemember.com 

****

A couple days ago I had a jazzy K for Kate -- here is Halloween N for Nanski that will be lost by the time October rolls around. Although that is one fine bat and the skulls are very nice. Too much stuff in my files.



No comments:

Post a Comment