Saturday, June 19, 2021

KristineK. - (Haley's Worm bible comments)


 I think I have 3 envelopes from Kristine - and I need to respond. It is May 1st, and I have been sifting all day - and now I am sifting through my stacks of photos. I load most of them and do not write anything. The writing gets done at a later date. This blurb is just to jog my memory about this day. 

*****
This add on was added on a long time ago - so, I am not going to bump it. Chuck's motivator might show up tomorrow.
*****
I'm going to lump this wonderful information about the Worms bible lettering that Haley sent me. I'm still hoping to give that style of lettering a try.

So I was looking around your blog again and came upon the post about the Worms Bible (in January) and you asked me about those crazy letters last fall. I tried to comment but I don’t know if it went through. Basically I said that there are lots of abbreviations in those Latin Bibles because “everyone knows” those common words. Like SCI with the line above it is an abbreviation for something. I don’t read Latin very well and we didn’t learn ecclesiastical abbreviations. I took in high school but that was a couple of decades ago. Anyway, that page you were wondering about isn’t even the text of the Bible. It looks like it is a prologue or introduction to that particular Bible. It says Frater (brother) Ambrose so it might be a little history or background how that Bible came to be. Saint Ambrose was someone who stood against various church heresies in the early church. I would have to puzzle over that text a long time to figure out what exactly all those paragraphs said but I hope that is helpful. I imagine the letter after P you wondered about is a letter attached to an abbreviation mark. It could be PLRM because the first line INCIPIT (here begins) EPLA and SCI are abbreviations with the L having an attached abbreviation line. The last few words say something about the whole history of the book. 


I reeeeeally hope I get around to trying that style.

*****
Another envelope from Kristine :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment