Friday, January 15, 2021

From Haley in Sept (etegami + the red lettering that I love)



Another example of etegami. 
Have I gotten around to doing any.
Nope.
And that lettering on the envelope.
I love-love-love it
and when it arrived, I asked Haley for the source
and have screen shots of the whole alphabet (nearly)
and I have been just itching to try it.
Grrrrrrr

I probably lost my conversation with Haley
so I can't even direct you to the source.
Grrrrr

Maybe Haley will see this and shoot me a quick email.

******
My sabbatical has been productive.
I found the link
Talk about a rabbit hole -- The British Library. Wow.

This style would look great on valentine themed envelopes.

The images are from The Worms Bible 1148
It is Harley MS 2803 and 2804
the first of a 2-volume set



Can anyone tell what that letter is in the second line, following the P?
There is a variation on the 4th line. It has some characteristics of a K.

Here are all the letters we do have - just in this one image - and the two I added below:
ABCDE HILMN OPRST UV - XF - G - Q
We are missing:
JKWYZ
Maybe some of the missing letters were not in use at this time - but all of them would be easy to construct from the 21 letters that we do have. 

I hope Haley is not annoyed that I am sharing this. I know sometimes I find stuff and I want to keep it to myself. Hopefully Haley is happy to help fill the blog with lovely inspiration.



X F




G

And bonus points to anyone who can translate the words.





I don't remember the origin of J. I thought it was a fairly new letter - but found this at Wiki:

The letter J used to be used as the swash letter I, used for the letter I at the end of Roman numerals when following another I, as in XXIIJ or xxiij instead of XXIII or xxiii for the Roman numeral representing 23. 

A nice F


Q


This post is getting to be too long, but, here are two more links on the whole I-J thing, including the monograms for Jesus that look like an X over an I or over a P or IHS or IHC - I never knew there was a name for all those variations. 









 

4 comments:

  1. Could that character be the Old English, Thorn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I'm not familiar with Thorns - and the one I found look more like a P with both an ascender and a descender. After looking at the two variations of whatever it is, I'm thinking of making one of them into a K and the other into a Y. Then turn the M up-side-down to make a W and the only letter to make from scratch is the Z - which would be easy.

      Delete
  2. If it is Latin it could be a u, puri=pure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Late the party here. I know the Worms Bible is in Latin. I don’t know what letter after the P. It could be that is an abbreviation. Those are often used for words “everyone knows” in texts. Incipit means “Here begins.” And that page is the first page to that Bible. It doesn’t look like by guessing at the Latin (I took it long ago) it is actually the Bible text but maybe a prologue talking about Father Ambrose and the history of that particular Bible. I would have to really study it closely to figure out exactly what is written. All those lines above a word mean an abbreviation for a common word. So that SCI is some abbreviation. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete