Thursday, January 14, 2021

Happy mail from Valerie (mushy words for the readers and senders)

 I bumped today's regular post to share some happy mail. When an envelope arrives, I can often tell who it's from without looking at the return address. If not, I check the postmark. I did not recognize the style of the art or the penmanship on this one and the postmark was California, so that suggested either Lauren or GraceH - but I was pretty sure that it was not from them. When I turned it over, I was so happy to see a brand new name. It took me back to all the times I received a real letter from someone who had discovered the blog online and sent an envelope. 

The first time it happened was Smash and the second one was Finn. They came at about the same time.  It was three years into the blog and I have told the whole long story before. But, it's been a while, so I'll do a brief recap.

When I started the blog, it was to stay in touch with students. In the back of my mind, I always wondered if I would ever hear from anyone who just happened to see an image on Pinterest or somewhere else. And then (3 years into the blog), after a month that was full of unrelated but exhausting and demoralizing turmoil, I was pondering the idea of ending the blog. And then - as if the postal gods were inside our heads making things happen - a letter appeared in the mailbox. It was from Smash and all it took was one person to inspire me to keep going. And shortly after, there was an envelope from Finn. I think there was a third piece of mail, too, that I took as the ultimate *3 signs* that meant I should keep going. 

Someday, I will go back and read all my blog posts and create a timeline for all my other penpals and when I first heard from them - because all of you generate my endless enthusiasm for this endeavor. I meet most of the new people through email because they are signing up for the exchange. But, it's fun to hear from someone - out of the blue - via snail mail.

Of course, I LOVE the theme of the envelope as well as the enclosures. Thank you so much Valerie. I wanted you to know that it arrived and it made my day. I am currently not staying at my house because it is full of workmen and more plaster dust that I imagined. So, I will send you a proper thank you - once I get my house back in order.



A very nice postcard was enclosed - which I will enjoy sending to my grandson. 
He is very interested in space these days.


Both sides of a nice laminated bookmark.
My house is situated high enough that I can often get a very nice view of the moon.
I've even been inspired to drive to other places to get a good view during special events.
I don't always remember what the names are.
BigHelpfulBrother -- do you remember the one - not too long ago, but prior to the pandemic when I drove down to the river to see the moon when it was really big - but you had to go see it as it was rising?
Does that ring a bell?




This stamp was on the note from Valerie - I had to look up DDR. I was guessing that it might be something with Deutchland - and it is:






2 comments:

  1. Don't recall one at moon rise -- although there was one fairly recently that appeared especially large because of orbital precession.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean,
    I live about 10 miles from the Johnson Space Center and my husband worked for NASA for 30 years or so. The best display of the moon that I ever saw was on July 20, 1994, which was the 25th anniversary of the first moon landing. It was held on the shores of Clear Lake with lots of patriotic songs playing. Just as it got dark enough for the fireworks to begin, the moon looked like it was rising right out of the water. It was one of the biggest full moons I've ever seen, and it was as though it was saying, "Hello. Is this celebration for me?" As an extra bonus, earlier that night I got to shake Neil Armstrong's hand!

    ReplyDelete