Thursday, June 17, 2021

Not PartyTime font - Anything Goes (2 posts today)

A few days ago there was an envelope with a fun font that I called PartyTime. That was the name on the the first exemplar I had which was done by Cheryl Adams. After I started teaching, I made my own exemplar and called it Anything Goes. It was one of my favorite fonts for teaching lettering because it illustrates how all 26 (x2) letters are made up of circles, arcs and straight lines.

If you Google *Partytime font* -- you will find a bunch of them. I posted one at the very end. They are wildly different, so, there is probably no way to figure out where this concept came from.

It is helpful for getting people to pay attention to the components of a letter. I redid the exemplars from time to time - and will post all of them. There is a lot of repetition. In a perfect world, we would create something that has everything we need on two pages - but that's not going to happen.


Above shows the construction of the letters.
I don't think they look that good if they are used in an orderly fashion.
I think they need to be tipped and bounced.
The secret to tipping and bouncing is to make the tipping and bouncing very subtle.
Beginners tend to put too much tip and bounce - so it becomes distracting.


Below - you can see that I squared off the word aNytHinG - with a G-Tec - so it has crisp square strokes.
That's my favorite way to make this style a little more refined. Goes is not squared off. It looks more generic. It's fine -- but aNytHinG is spiffier.


I found these handouts in one of my big fat 3-ring binder of exemplars.
I have 4 of them.
S.o.m.e.d.a.y. I might get all of them scanned and posted somewhere.
Or -- someone will inherit them. I need to find the person who is going to carry on the blog when I head out on the west bound. My offspring would just dump them.


Here is a Party-time font from FontHaus>
It has some fun options that could be dove-tailed with the ideas on my handouts.







No comments:

Post a Comment