Thursday, February 4, 2021

Happy Birthday Mr Wilson (ski map artist)


As previously mentioned, Mr Wilson is a Dead Head. There are so many gorgeous envelopes that have arrived for Mr Wilson that I was unable to choose just one to post today, so I went with Pinterest and will post the ones he received in April or May.

I love the banner behind the airplane that says:
Unless you want to live on a deserted island communication is important.
The resolution isn't the best on these - but, I did find a link to another collection of GD envelopes. Way back in the 80s, before Jerry died, they sold tickets through the mail and people would decorate the envelopes. I think there was a lottery system for deciding who got the tickets, so people guessed that an attractive envelope might up their chances. 

And then, at some point, there was an envelope contest but I do not recall what that was about. Somebody published a book of envelopes and they sent me a letter asking permission to publish my artwork - which I granted. But, now I have forgotten if my envelope is in the book. I don't think we have a copy of the book. 




*****
Very off topic. But rant free because we need some calmness in our lives.

As previously mentioned, our older son spends every spare minute skiing so I am drawn to ski related stories. This might be a rerun as it seemed like a familiar story. But, in case I have not, I always enjoy stories about people who find something in the world of art that sustains them in both a practical way and all the other ways.

If you do not read the article, here is just one of my favorite parts:

...painting the forest’s multitude of trees seemed overwhelming. I even cut slashes out of my brush to produce three tree trunks instead of one. But I wasn’t happy with the result and resolved to paint each trunk with a single stroke. I thought I was patient but I learned to have more patience. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment