Wednesday, February 3, 2021

From GraceE to Janet (Japanese ledger book)


This is from GraceE to Janet. I wonder if I will ever take the time to brush up on my copperplate or any of my pointed pen styles. Some days, I feel like dumping all but one little drawer full of nibs and ink. Once in a while I toss something - and within a week, I regret it. Grrrr.

****

Here's a little extra for the day. Sometimes, when you take a workshop, the instructor has everyone gather the notes and practice pages and make them into a booklet. This is a very nice way to keep things orderly. At my very first workshop, Peter Thornton had us make a Japanese ledger book at the end. I still have mine. He said that Japanese merchants would keep their ledgers on loose sheets and they could add the pages to booklets that had simple bindings to open and close. Then, they could hang them on the wall. 

I found a few pictures of them. Although I did not find directions for the binding. There are probably several ways to do it. The easiest one would be just a simple loop like you might find on a calendar.

Here is a blog that mentions the Japanese ledger book - although the picture does not make it look like it is easy to add pages. I imagine this blog is a fun rabbit hole - if you like to make books.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment