Thursday, February 18, 2021

Bittersweet from CathyO (gangs)


Isn't this pretty? 
I'm feeling bittersweet. 
We observed the 11th birthday of the blog yesterday. 
It was also my younger son's birthday. 
Sadly, I am not sure which birthday it is because I cannot do this math in my head.
2021 - 1988 = ??

It's got to be an odd number and it isn't 31 so it must be 33.
With my family of 5 and the 3 kids have add-ons - there are so many numbers to remember and every year the number changes for each person. I spaced off Mr Wilson turning 70 this year. Not in real life - but on the blog. I wonder if he was disappointed that he did not get any fun mail.
And I will be spacing off my own birthday. (clearly, this changed)

It's bittersweet to watch the offspring head into their 30s and 40s.
As I recall, those are challenging decades.
Maybe I am just weary (as we all are) of trying to find the silver lining in all the *stuff* that has gone on,
(she wrote on Dec 22, 2020)




 ****

There is a post scheduled for April 15 announcing my new online group to join. I thought it would be fun to welcome people who did not do exchanges.

I'm aware that many of us are introverts so there may be little interest in joining a group. I've had a couple other ideas for groups that I have not pursued. Why would an introvert keep thinking of groups? I guess, I am not living on the very tip of the bell curve and I do enjoy my connections to others.

Side note: What ever happened to the Gray Panthers? I remember when they started and recall thinking that I would be good at being a Gray Panther when I achieved my full grayness. I'm resisting the temptation to research. They might have morphed into AARP.

Off-topic, daily extra jabber.

Once upon a time, I conjured up a gang for moms. When the boys were teenagers, they listened to popular music which included musicians who embraced (or inhabited?) the whole *gang* culture. I did not have to ask them to not play it in the house. Somehow they had discerned that MeanJean needed her peace and quiet. But, I saw enough to know about the gangs and their bandanas. 

So, one day, MeanJean was delivering the super nachos to the teenagers - and she tied a dish towel around her head and declared that she was going to start a gang for moms. They probably rolled their eyes. Skip was on homecoming court as a senior, and the parents were invited to participate in a halftime introduction on the field. I remember him suggesting that I flash a gang sign as we were introduced. And I did. Not my finest hour. Or maybe it was. The older I get - the less perspective I have. At the time, it was surreal to have an offspring on homecoming court. Mr Wilson and I were both quintessential nerds. To have a courtly offspring was surreality to the nth degree.

ScaryMommy is a group on IG -- and I love every single post. They are the equivalent of my MomGang. I am sure there are rebel/rogue-elder sites as well. I shall resist the temptation to look for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment