Saturday, February 6, 2021

Janet to GraceE (font/hand rant)


This might be the first in a series done by Janet. She kindly sent me some photos when I put out the call to share more mail with me so that we had more variety on the blog. Her series is pandemic inspired.


The black line with the white writing is something I need to steal. I know I have a stack of square red envelopes that I should use up. Those stamps are so perfect.

****
Here is another comment left in the comment section a few days ago. A continuation of a topic to add to my *rant/ponder* section:

<quote>
I do enjoy your rants! And this one in particular struck a cord with me.

I'm not a young one anymore and have only been in the lettering arts for about 10 years (started with I was 35ish), but when it comes to the term "font" it makes me cringe when people use it in terms of calligraphy. Now granted, it is those that don't do calligraphy (although I hear it more and more from those that actually do calligraphy) and I will state that font is something you find on your computer and what calligraphers write or teach our hands. I know it may seem petty or inconsequential but to me the time and effort I've put into writing and practice to be called a "font" just down plays my efforts.... 
Ok, my rant over! :)
<end quote>

Thank you, Thomas, for the rant.
You reminded me of the part that matters to me most.
It is not the content, it is the process.
You very respectfully explained why you think it is important to differentiate between font and hand. And you explained it as your own personal preference.
You did not blast me for having a different opinion.
To people (like Thomas) who have feelings, one way or another, I support, respect, and celebrate your willingness to assert your views in such a polite manner.

What bothers me more than the differentiating between two terms, is how some people will bark at others over the issue. Some people are so emphatic, bordering on rude, which is why I say, it is not the content it is the process.

One of the joys of teaching - after I had experienced so many different rock star teachers - was that I could implement the polite ways to pass along information and I could warn my students about *hot topics* like font/hand. I figured it was better to alert people to the fact that they might run into some zealous traditionalists some day and to be prepared. With adults, they need to make up their minds on their own.

It was not uncommon for me to have students who had absorbed something in a *my-way-or-the-highway* style from a previous teacher. If I said something contrary - they would challenge me and I'd politely explain that there's a ton of yin-yang and they were free to see both sides and choose.

My favorite example of this happened during a design class with Peter Thornton, who is a MASTER of design. He was discussing proportions and rectangles and he actually said, "Squares are boring." I disagree - but I did not say anything. I make a lot of square designs. It was less than 15 minutes later - as he was walking around the class -- he stopped at my desk, added something to my square design, and held it up for the class as a good example of design. He did not mention that it was a square - there was some other element that he was focusing on. I didn't say, "Hey, did you notice that that is a boring square?" I just made a note that it is very hard to make definitive *rules* about most everything.

The one thing that I think we can probably agree on -- politeness is preferable 100% of the time.

Au contraire.
What?
Are you kidding?
No, I am not.
The BigHelpfulBrother might remember what I am going to say next.
I'll add it tomorrow, because this is getting too long.

3 comments:

  1. Squares are boring??? Hmmmm. My love of Mondrian disagrees with him. Good for you for doing the squares! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree -- and it was probably an off-hand comment -- I'm sure he's done some lovely square layouts. If our paths ever cross again -- I am sure I will ask him how he feels about square layouts. I'm sure he will have examples where they work beautifully.

      Delete
  2. Squares are boring??? Hmmmm. My love of Mondrian disagrees with him. Good for you for doing the squares! :D

    ReplyDelete