Sunday, February 28, 2021

Five Giant Copic - from Jean (Gray Panthers)


These 5 went out in the October exchange. I was pretty happy with some of my October envelopes because I did quite a few with the Ed Emberley drawings. I can't imagine that I will ever tire of Ed's drawings. The only downside is the amount of time they take, so, I probably had five left and decided to use the giant Copic marker that I love and that I can also refill. These envelopes were really nice paper and they slurped up the ink. They're fine. But, I will indulge in some uber-nit-picking. I need to remember that I have to have something really fun to add to this style of lettering. Somehow a big bold name just doesn't seem like enough.

I like the white space on Sue's, but am not thrilled with the last name.


The second C in Chuck is clunky but the centering turned out nicely with no practice.


So-so.


Grrrr.
Poor planning.
I do not like the stamp placement at all.
Grrrr.


Grrrr. 
Too many things about this one bother me to even start listing them.


*****
My curiosity won and I researched the Gray Panthers. It was so much fun to read (and remember) the history - including the feisty little lady who was forced to retire at 65 and launched the organization. Progress has been made - but there are still lots of issues - as well as new issues - facing elders. The Gray Panthers are still around and you can join one of the local organization. NYC, Detroit, Twin Cities, Boston, San Francisco, East Bay (Berkeley) and Long Beach are the only communities listed. Maybe I should start a Des Moines branch. Decisions, decisions.

If you would like to read more:
at the bottom is a link to a FB page.

And while we are on a roll - if you ever felt under appreciated (and/or under compensated) for the amount of work you put in at your domestic duties - here's someone with some ammunition for your next debate.


It is long and full of heartbreaking statistics and information about hardships faced by many people. And I really regret just giving you the *happy note* from the very end of the article. I am only doing it because some of my readers are slogging through hard times and the last thing they need is a long article about hardships. So here is an activist's response to a question from the author:

When I asked, on one dark day last year, what if anything was making her feel the magic of the world, she cried: “Oh! Oh! This.” She waved her hands around in the air, gesturing at the trees, the birds, the dirt in the nearby planter currently being examined by a pair of toddlers. 

Her eyes crinkled behind her mask. “The creativity of nature. And of people. I am very excited about people.” When I burst out laughing in disbelief, she protested. “There is really a lot of beauty, generosity, courage, my God. There is still joy, I see it — there is still a lot of beauty in this world. And I hope it prevails over those who only want to control and tear it apart.”




 

No comments:

Post a Comment