Saturday, May 27, 2023

Updating Post Office display (5)

 


Lovie, the manager of the clerks at our main post office knows my son and asked him to ask me how much it would cost to have me address a new set of envelopes for the current clerks at the main post office. I should have said, two sheets of stamps - but, I said I would be happy to do it for free. I tried to make them very scanner machine friendly. I will post the photos of the actual envelopes in late June or July.

LINK to some other Lovie envelopes

Here are some more that were on the earlier display LINK to postal clerks

***

The Certificate Story - Chapter 5

We are going to skip some of the additional complications and challenges that went on in Chicago. Let's just say - it's a big city. Sometimes they just need to shut the water off for a few hours - but at least they put a little post-it on your door to warn you. And Chicago thought that The Windy City would distract people from the reality that it is The INSANE Weather City. Or maybe it's global warming -- but - good grief - the weather is unpredictable - which is a polite way of saying - two solid weeks of winter weather - at the end of April. I am not exaggerating. It snowed.

During my down time while the kids were in school - I updated Person A, who had taken my order to make the entire certificate digital that I would be out of town for an additional week - but could OK the certificate online and look at a hard copy proof on Monday the 8th. No problem he says -- and then he responds pretty promptly - telling me that the fonts that the original graphic designer (Connie Wilson) sent over will not work with their system.

There was a flurry of emailing - as Person A, Connie, and I discussed why the fonts she sent over would not work. It's not worth trying to explain. It has to do with fonts and how people own fonts and try to make a living off the use of fonts. Connie could explain it - but the details don't really matter - the bottom line is that periodically - she has to re-purchase fonts as basic as Helvetica -- and they are not cheap - and yes, I know there are alternatives that might look like Helvetica - but when you can tell the difference - you can't make yourself use the cheap imitations. It's like telling me that the margarine tastes just like butter. No, it does not.

Another fatal mistake - made by StupidJean - she told Person A to *just find a similar Old English font.* I am embarrassed that I said that. All I can do is plead temporary insanity. Everyone knows that you do not turn font selection over to anyone unless they are a close personal friend and even then - opinions could clash.

So - we know exactly what's going to go wrong at this juncture.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment