Saturday, May 27, 2023

Double chin tuck

 Many years ago, at an IAMPETH conference, there was one class on preventing aches and pains from too many hours at a desk. The chin tuck was a fantastic exercise to learn - and I always passed it along to my students. I've thought about making a video of it to share on the blog - but, it never made it very far up the to-do list. Then - a video popped up on IG - and it is double chin tuck - but is essentially the same thing I learned plus it adds another stretch that looks like it would feel wonderful - so here's the link:

LINK to chin tuck video

Think about how, if you do not work at a slant board, and you lean forward slightly, tipping your head down so you can see the paper - it takes muscles to hold your head in that position. It puts a lot of strain on your neck and upper back. 

Even monks knew that. This image is from the 12th century. There are other images - more recent - and they show a slanted desk - but the scribe is still bending his head down. If I had time, I would look for the seated posture that was recommended by business colleges when they were training people to write all day - prior to the invention of the typewriter. As I recall - we can sit upright and have our eyes gaze down at the paper - keeping our head in a better position. I think our teachers in elementary school used to say things like, "Don't write with your nose," when kids would hunch over.



The regular daily post is below. 

Apologies to CJ for skipping tomorrow's chapter. I think that is the only time I skip a day.





No comments:

Post a Comment