Monday, March 13, 2023

Jennifer 1 - How to surf.

 


Here is the first envelope to Jennifer. I put her name on the exchange list in February. She's the lovely postal worker who welcomed my son into the USPS family and is the type of team worker that everyone enjoys.  This one is from Mary and looks hand painted. I'm itching to get my paints out. Maybe in March?

***

Whilst skimming through news stories, I saw the one that said something about Phil Knight did not watch LeBron shoot his record breaking shot through his phone to snap a photo. And I clicked on it to see the photo. I was expecting to see some other guy named Phil who had been a coach. But it didn't look like the other Phil. So, I had to Google Phil Knight to see who he was -  because the name was familiar.

Well, duh, he's one of the co-founders of Nike - and I had read his autobiography and loved it. It was a wonderful story and I remember bits and pieces of it fondly. So, I scanned through the bio and saw the story of the creation of the Nike swoosh logo.

Oh.My.Gosh. I do not recall all the wonderful details being in his book. Go ahead and click on the story if you have a couple minutes.

LINK to article about the Swoosh design

If you have no interest or time - here are the highlights that made it such a fun story for me.

The designer was a student (1971) when Phil hired her to design the logo. Phil didn't really like it that much, but was under a time crunch, and said he figured it would grow on him. Quote from article:

 For her services, the company paid her $35, which, if adjusted for inflation for 2018, would be the value equivalent of about $217. In 1983, Phil gave her stock in Nike - valued at at least a million dollars. 

Back to Jean's comments: Isn't that a nice story?

LINK to longer article about SWOOSH

I think I already posted the story about how *Just do it* came to be. If you have lots of time today - here it is:

LINK to Just Do It article

And that - is how you surf. Within each link - there are more - and more and more topics. Of course, I never did come up with the last name of that other Phil who was a basketball coach. 

*** I usually read my posts a day or two before they run - so yesterday when I read this one, I remembered the other Phil - Phil Jackson. It's a bit of a relief when random information returns.


No comments:

Post a Comment