Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Leslie to Steve (NH USPS) - wheat runway


Another envelope from Leslie to one of our NH USPS pen pals.

****
Off topic - 
I was reading the weekly newsletter from Naomi Bulger and she mentioned Ethical Clothing Australia - since she lives in Oz - which directs people to earth friendly clothing that also protects the rights of garment workers. It reminded me that after I watched the PBS program on the people in China who make our beloved blue jeans I vowed that I would never buy another pair of jeans. That will not be hard since I had/have enough to last and I'm not even that fond of them.

And then, I remembered that in 2011, after my daughter's wedding, I looked at all the cute clothes I had and made a plan to wear the cute ones I had been saving and only replace essentials for the next 10 years. I If I was replacing something like a coat, it had to be at least 30% off. Sierra Trading Post and local sale racks have made it easy to stick with that plan. After my decade of austerity I was going to treat myself to a complete closet makeover in 2021. You know where this is going, right?

Yup. I no longer have any reason to care about what I look like since I hardly go anywhere. And even though I was wildly interested in clothing during my teens and 20s - once I had offspring, I lost interest in clothes - unless they were comfortable, durable, and easy to launder. 

Sorry - I am rambling - Naomi's newsletter led me to this - which reminded me of how much I loved walking out in wheat fields when I visited my dear uncles in Montana. If they were to see this image, they would be calculating how many bushels of wheat were wasted making that runway. But, it's a cool photo. And there are more if you go to the link.

Warning: if you are on the conservative end of the spectrum, you will not want to surf around any further than the wheat runway. It is more avant-garde (shall we say) than the typical images that I link to. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment