Tuesday, December 29, 2020

From Paula (NH USPS)






Paula (Sam's USPS clerk in NH) sent me these two images. They were her first foray into mail art and I do not recall exactly what she said - but her words indicated that she didn't think they were fabulous. Actually, they have a lot going for them.  

First, I like the straight forward design. Running Santa off the edge is a very good idea.
The gift would not have worked as well, running it off the edge - but it's nice and big.

The lettering is lovely. Nice clear shapes that mix upper and lower case.
Nice spacing.

Overlapping the name and address on the gift is a good idea.

I have a weird feeling that I already posted the one that Paula sent to me.

Maybe Paula will tell us what happened at her station over the holiday.
How much mail piled up?
Were you in the path of any of the big snow storms?
Are you caught up yet?

If you are still exhausted and working overtime -- don't worry about responding right now.

Thanks for sharing these.


And here is the one that arrived in my mailbox.
I love it.
I'm a fan of mid-century design --
It's just lovely.
If she has time, I hope Paula signs up for an exchange.







 

3 comments:

  1. The trees on that red one!! How fun! (just got another idea for next Cmas!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean, I was SO excited (and nervous) to see my envelopes here. Thanks for including me. :-)
    Christmas at our PO was crazy... Due to CDC guidelines, when I got the beginnings of what turned out to just be a NASTY headcold (and not covid), the PO put me on paid leave. For 10 days. I was out from Dec 14 til Christmas Eve, so I missed most of the insanity at the retail counter. But even before the 14th, I saw lines that actually, literally went out the door... and halfway down the stripmall.
    And as you can imagine, my cold ended up being the first domino in the parade of absences in the office. Some people did test positive, but as far as I know, none of them were seriously ill. However, the clerk staff at the sorting unit was reduced to as few as 2 people for most of the peak season.
    Our office is mostly back to full staffing now, mailing volume at the retail counter is back to a normal level, and we are pretty much caught up. Here. In Hudson.
    The larger sorting facilities are still behind, and working through the backlog as quickly as they can, but customers are (understandably) upset with the delays. I cringe a little bit every time a person approaches me at the counter without a package or letter... they're just scrolling through their phone, looking for a tracking number.
    Sorry this turned out to be so long-winded, LOL. But I did want to make sure to reply to this post. You guys have been so nice and so fun!! We've gotten lots of decorated envelopes from artists here, and we love them all! I'll send in a few pictures soon (if you want to see) and thank people by name... credit where credit is due, right? But I'll stop rambling for now. But I'll continue to check in every morning. You are an enjoyable part of my daily routine now. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jean, I just typed a (typically) long and rambling reply for this post. Then I hit publish and it prompted me to sign in. Then my post was gone. LOL!!! I'm so bad at this.
    I just wanted to let you know that it WAS insane at our PO. CDC covid protocols put a bunch of us out of work during the absolute peak of the season. I was out sick (thankfully not covid; just a bad headcold) from 12-14 til 12-24. I was the first one sick and most of the rest of the clerks followed suit. Sorting staff most days was down to 2 people and the lines at the retail counter literally went out the front door and halfway down the little stripmall we're in. Things are pretty much back to normal here now, but I guess the large sorting facilities are still working the backlog. Customers are quite unhappy with the delays, and while most of them accept and understand the way covid hit the PO across the country, some of them are downright mean.
    I wanted to thank you for posting up my envelopes. I was excited to see them, but also a little nervous. I know I'm just a rookie at this.
    I also want to thank everyone who has been sending decorated envelopes!! They are so beautiful and so fun! I'll send a couple of pictures and mention names soon.
    And in closing, I'll apologize in case somehow my first, crazy-long post did get through to you. Hopefully you didn't end up having to read my ramblings twice.
    Thanks for being so cool... opening up this blog is one of my favorite things to do every morning.

    ReplyDelete