Monday, January 31, 2022

Cards instead of envelopes (YMCA)

A couple weeks ago, I saw a blurb about United Way volunteer opportunities. So, I clicked on it - thinking that MrW might be the one who needed more volunteer work. Instead - there was a listing for *handmade birthday cards* that jumped out at me. So, I clicked on it. It looked like something that was right up my alley. So, I contacted the agency and they were thrilled to hear from me. 

It is a YMCA sponsored agency that serves people who are ready to transition from homeless shelters to actual apartments and get jobs and get back on their feet. The person I emailed with said that they make sure everyone gets a handmade birthday card. They have 150 residents. That's only 12-13 per month. Heck, I could make 12 or 13 in a day.

Pictured above are the first 6. It's actually more fun than doing envelopes because I obsess too much over each name. This is perfect because I have the same two words every time. I do not need to put anything on the inside because they will write their own greeting and everyone in the office will sign it. Plus, these will be anonymous. Nobody is going to think that Jean is slipping.

A couple days later, I made some more. I had been organizing exchange envelopes and several people who send *empty* envelopes actually put really nice folded card stock inside the envelopes. I save that paper because I can't make myself throw out perfectly good paper.

So, exchangers, when you get your Feb exchange list, feel free to send blank cards inside your envelopes, if you have extra card stock. I suppose you can write Happy Birthday on the fronts, if you'd like. But, it takes me all of 5 minutes to do most of these. Obviously, if there is poor planning, I have to spend extra time disguising the mistakes.

It is also giving me an opportunity to go through all my pens and markers and weed out the dry ones. Some of the ones that look a little *blah* are better in person because there are layers of sparkles that don't photograph that well.



If anyone wants to contribute to the project, you may send blank cards that say Happy Birthday on the front - and blank on the inside. 5" x 7" will fit in envelopes I have on hand.

1 comment:

  1. ohmygoodness, Jean! #inspo!!! These are great.

    I'm the same when I get empty env.'s -- I open them all, just in case, and sometimes, the nice cardstock inside is a great little surprise!

    ReplyDelete