Thursday, January 6, 2022

From Sydney - Welcome aboard, Troy



This one is from Sydney. I think she only exchanged once - maybe twice. This is so lovely. I can't figure out how she got the color on the paper. I don't think it was done on a printer. It looks hand done. The outlines are gold gel pen - and I'm sure this must have taken a very long time. It's very precise. Maybe Sydney will see this and let us know what she's used. There is no bleed through or overlap - so it doesn't look like markers. But, it doesn't feel like gouache either. If I don't hear from her, I guess I could write and ask.....

**** A longish read / portions are silly / but I'm serious about the whole plan

 In early December as I was recombobulating and sending out the Dec exchange lists, I had to email Troy to ask if he would send a birthday card to someone on his list who had signed up to do cards, but, I had not gotten her onto a list with other card makers. He kindly agreed to do a card and then offered additional help with the exchange - if I needed help.

Oh.My.Gosh. Yes - I need help. I need someone who will agree to keep the exchanges running if something happens to me. It will be a comfort to all of us to know that the exchange has a team running it and not JustJean. So here is the plan. Troy will be installed as the new *job-title-to-be-determined.*

The reason I am so excited about Troy joining the team is because all I had to do was start a silly thread about job titles and he was all over it. I originally called him my lieutenant - but I'm not sure I want to go with a military model. Although, Brigadier General would be a nice title for me. 

Many years ago, I pondered creating my own order of scribes based on religious orders. I wanted to be Mother Superior. But, I don't want to make light of religious orders. Business titles are boring. I don't want to be Chairman of the Board. Military, religious, business, political - none of them seem quite right. If anyone has any other systems that have good titles, let me know. 

In the meantime, Troy tossed out some titles that he said were not serious, but I think a couple of them sound just fine - and I added my corresponding title:

Assistant Pusher (I would be the Grand High Pusher). 

Mail Rat (I would be the Goddess/Empress of Mail), 

Envelope Junkie (I would be the Capo - or there might be some other good mafia titles that I don't know about - and maybe the drug world has some that are not mafia related - I'm not up on my mafia and drug terminology. I'm not enamored with crime/drug related titles) 

PTE Mini Me - (I would be Doctor Envelope - or Dr Evilope). Who wants to be Nurse Ratchet?

Oh, I just remembered a good system with titles -- It's an old idea - my university. I started one so that I could offer PhDs in penmanship. I think the top dog at a university is the President? I don't even know. So Troy can be a Dean or a Provost (whatever that is) Clearly, I need to do some research. Feel free to apply for whatever positions you'd like. But you have to be willing to actually participate. Unless you have some compelling reason for being worthy of a title whilst doing nothing.

Anyone interested in being on the team, let me know. You will get the password to the blog as well as the new email address that I am starting on the February exchange. We will ease our way into the team approach - but, I think it will be a lot of fun for everyone. 

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Troy.

***
I forgot to check this post yesterday - and I already have the new email up and running. Thanks to everyone who made the change so smooth.





6 comments:

  1. For job titles, Grace Kelley had the best: Her Serene Highness, Princess Grace of Monaco. I did a roll call book for a police department's Vice Squad. I was the Vice Scribe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is most excellent! I was a police dispatcher, but we had no fancy titles :)

      Delete
  2. thanks for stepping up, Troy!! So grateful for this exchange. (I vote for Env. Junkie!) ;D

    Not sure what all would be needed, but I could probably help out as well. Just let me know.

    Thanks again Jean! (and Troy) #snailmailforever !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously, you are the Goddess/Empress of Mail. I prefer "Goddess", myself, but "Empress" is also a fine title. Your choice, Goddess/Empress Jean.
    Thanks for the daily smiles and inspiration. Thanks to Troy for being the "Hand to the Goddess/Empress" or whatever.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I’m so, so glad you liked that envelope. It did take a long time, heh. I was really worried about sending you a boring envelope, so I spent a while procrastinating and a while actually making it.
    I used Posca acrylic paint pens from the pastel set. (;

    ReplyDelete
  5. The images would have been stamped with versamark ink and embossed with gold embossing powder, then coloured with maybe markers

    ReplyDelete