Sunday, August 22, 2021

Patty's Emilio Sanchez envelopes ( Brutal honesty)




I love these stamps and was so excited to find out who would be first to use them. Yay, Patty. I met Patty back when I was still teaching and I really appreciate that she takes time to send me photos of her envelopes. It's great to have enough that I can post them in groups like this, so that you can see a variety of ideas off of one stamp.

I think my favorite of the group is Sharon's. So, if I decide to steal this idea, I will plan on using it with names that have only 4 or 5 letters at most. The stamp-to-name proportion is very good. Patty gets an A+

***

The next part was written on June 18

***

I needed to do the third and final part of my rant on talent/study/contentment

Recap:

Danny Gregory did a good job of explaining that only those who put in the hours can excel at *whatever.*

Yes, there are a handful of exceptions to that rule - but they are exceptions. Nuf said.

My second rant had to do with discovering that *thing* that is so all-consuming that you can't tear yourself away from the activity and it often becomes that thing that gives you the most satisfaction.

Final rant: Please don't be frustrated if you can see that your work is less than stellar. Here comes another one of those topics I harp on: it's not the content, it's the process.

Go ahead and nit-pick at your work, if you enjoy doing so - but be brutally honest about how much time you are spending on whatever it is that you want to improve. Accept that you can't be good at everything. Figure out what kinds of things you do best and do more of those things. Or if you are compelled to do things that you aren't good at -- enjoy the activity and forget about the nit-picking.

I, too, see a ton of stuff that I just love. But, it's all over the place. I must rein myself in and make peace with the fact that some things just aren't going to get done. If I keep doing something that is perpetually disappointing - stop doing that thing. Putter around with the things that feel right.

I'm writing this on June 18. When I check back in Aug for my final edit, it will be interesting to see what kind of grade I give myself.

***

A+ to myself on my opinions.

I'm still on board with all these opinions. Even in my altered state of mind with a brain that is off doing it's own thing - focusing on my own favorite *things* is the best use of my time. I've joined that club where people are grateful for what they have and could not care less about the things they have lost.

Remember that old line -- Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Most of the Google hits say that it is a line from Mark Twain. A couple hits attribute it to Ozzie Osborne.

No comments:

Post a Comment