Monday, August 30, 2021

Leslie (Be nice to Hector)


So so pretty.
This one came the first week I was home.
I sorta wish I had kept the stack in order.
Now that it is out of order -- I need to figure out a system to insure that I do not get confused and repeat them. As I recall, I have been talking for literally YEARS about figuring out a system.

Maybe the blow to the head will have installed that new system.


As I was adjusting to my situation after I got out of the hospital, I started collecting a list of things to rant about. I had a lot to rant about during the first week. Then it tapered off over the next two weeks. And now, I really don't feel like ranting at all. At first, I felt like I was balancing a cast iron colander on my head (inside my scull) and if I moved, there were ball bearings that would pound my brain. There were also a few red hot spikes that would shoot out once in a while. And then there was Mr Wilson with those roasted and salted almonds. It was brutal. Lots to rant about. 

Happily, the headache has eased off. There are lots of other things that are weird, but, if they do not resolve, I'll be fine. Obviously, if you have been in a hospital you will have a large collection of rant-worthy experiences. But, I'm going to look at things from a different angle.

We're just a bunch of strangers who show up with our problems. Half of us have been researching on the internet and have a bunch of opinions which is guaranteed to annoy them. The other half just want them to fix it. Obviously, the health care workers have some experience in dealing with issues and they usually mean well. But very few things are a quick fix and quite often there are interwoven, tangled, layers of complications. So, they have to approach the situation like a jigsaw puzzle and hope that all the pieces are in the box. And they never are. Stressed out strangers (the patients) are never at their best.

It's not like I have any advice - I'm just musing. The health care system is big and complicated. If you have to deal with it, stay calm but don't expect any miracles. Be nice to everyone and maybe things will go a tiny bit better. Be nice to Hector who looks like John Travolta in Pulp Fiction. I only needed Hector to bring me water which worked out OK. But, he did not look like he was all that thrilled with his latest career move. I hear that it's getting harder and harder to staff hospitals. I can't imagine that I would last long if I had to work in a hospital.


No comments:

Post a Comment