Thursday, August 26, 2021

KateR's distinguished gentlemen (care giver shopping)


Very nice colors on this one. Upright scripts are a nice alternative to the slanted ones. I'm bummed that the postal machinery took a bite out of it. 

Short envelope notes because we have a long tutorial on training caregivers. This has nothing to do with gender and no criticism of people who rarely do any grocery shopping. If you are the primary grocery shopper and find that you have to send your caregiver out to the store - here are some tips.

Step one:
Send them to the store once to see how they do.
If they take a photo of the item, they will probably get the right item. 
If you want the same size - you might have to put that dream on hold.

What we asked for on the left. What we got on the right.

If they do not take a photo - in this case we wanted RAW ALMONDS
and you simply write raw almonds on the list - this is not enough information. 
They will find almonds and assume that an almond is an almond.
They also go for brands they recognize.
Store brands seem to scare them.


That large container has been sitting out in plain sight and it was quite a surprise
that he could not find those containers in the aisle with nuts.

So, I rallied my energy and we went to the store together.
Keep in mind, the last time we went shopping together was in 1993 when we thought we could take one or maybe two kids to the mall to do some Christmas shopping. Utter chaos. This was before cell phones so you just had to park on a bench and hope they would show up. 

My one concern was that I would not be able to get some photos on the shopping expedition.
It turned out to be very easy because he kept wandering off.

I sent him down the cracker aisle because he eats both graham crackers and Triscuits even though I have warned him that those are processed foods that will kill him. Apparently he would rather be in heaven instead of caring for me.
 


While he was finding his crackers, I ducked around to the next aisle with the nuts and found what I had asked for to see how close it was to what he had brought home.


Since this trip, he has been on his own and doing a decent job. He tried a different store and found a lady who helped him find a couple things. She told him that they do, in fact, try to hide some of the items. It was probably a joke. But, you never know.

He says he likes it when I draw maps and diagrams that explain where things are.
It is also helpful to write the list in the order that a person might find them - if you provide a map.

***
BigHelpfulBrother alerted me that the Bob's Instant Potatoes might not be be as good as the ones that were good. We should probably stay away from recommending anything that is edible. I believe we have one reader in Idaho and she might have blanched at the near mention of pre-cooked and instant yesterday - which has been removed from yesterday's post.



7 comments:

  1. The student shopper image cracked me up. That's me, too. Himself used to do the shopping but walking has become difficult for him so shopping has become my job. I have always hated grocery shopping. Standing in the aisle with all the choices is overwhelming. Himself is more price conscious and a better shopper. I use the Little Princess method of shopping. If I want it, I buy it whether or not it is on sale. One good thing that came out of the pandemic for me. Online grocery shopping! There are pictures of the items you want. Though you have to be careful as size of item isn't always clear. Or like the day the programmers changed the quantity on bananas from each to bunch after I had place my 6 each order and I got 6 bunches of bananas. Good thing bananas can be frozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are brave to order produce online. I have heard so many people say that the stores unload the scraggly produce on the online shoppers. I'm not sure they are doing it on purpose. I've seen the people filling orders in the stores - and they just grab things as fast as they can -- so I can see how they don't have time to pick the best looking produce.

      Delete
    2. The service I use is directly from the grocery store warehouse. So people aren't shopping in store for you and picking whatever is left over. They pack your order from the warehouse. I'm been quite surprised and pleased at the quality of the produce.

      Delete
    3. Sounds like a way better system. I doubt it will ever be available in Duh Moines

      Delete
  2. Two things: it *was* Bob's Mill and the footnote says '... anything the is edible' s/b 'that'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun and funny post. I am happy your sense of humor is still in tact. Rice or pasta might be a good option. A spud is not a spud I’d it doesn’t come from the ground; it’s just a wannabe. I should know we go through 50 lbs a month, not to mention what we eat in ritz crackers and graham crackers. Wishing you continued recovery and a return to the magical mystery tour of grocery store aisles.😘

    ReplyDelete
  4. “He would rather be in heaven instead of caring for me” - I am still laughing.

    ReplyDelete