Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Kate-a-riffic Style of Lettering (Medicare rant)


Kate spotted an envelope to Jackie (from the blog) and asked me if I had an exemplar. I tossed off a quick page of this style and sent it to her. When I got back from my month in Chicago, this beauty was in my stack of mail. For a second, I actually thought it was something I had done. There was no postmark. Sometimes, when I send and invoice, I put in a SASE and make it a fun envelope addressed to myself. When I flipped it over, I knew it was from Kate. I had forgotten all about sending her the exemplar. But, she nailed it.

She did a good job of connecting the l and n. The big N at the end of Wilson is so nice. It anchors that end of the name. The e-a are tucked together perfectly. And her small lettering is very nice. If we were to look back at all of her small lettering, we would see that she is being more precise. And we <heart> precision.

I'm really glad she asked about this style. I have no recollection of copying it off anyone else. There are tons of outlined styles of lettering - so I am sure it is just a conglomeration of a bunch of stuff. Kate wanted to give it a name and we came up with something, but I can't remember what it was, so I'm going to call it Kate-a-riffic - and I might do an exemplar some day and post it. Or maybe we can get Kate to do one.

***

I heard from a pen-pal-exchanger-blog-reader yesterday with feedback on the spreadsheet I might create for where the stuff it. It was suggested that those of us with a lot of art supplies might benefit from a spreadsheet since we often forget what we have. Yes!! Good idea. And I'm forever telling people that it is so much better to have all of the like-supplies together. If you keep paper or markers in 5 different places - you'll have a heck of a time remembering what's where.

And -- there was an additional request for one of my good ol' rants. It is hard for me to even remember what kinds of things I used to rant about. And I was sure that I could come up with a good rant since I get annoyed on a daily basis. When the mail arrived and I saw the postcard calling me for jury duty, I thought maybe I could rant about that. But then, I had a bill for my *free* wellness *appointment* from Medicare. 

I'll go ahead and rant about this so that anyone else who is on Medicare can be alert to this switcheroo. 

I am oblivious to the concept of yearly check-ups. So, when I received a phone call, because it had been 2 years since my *welcome to Medicare* check-up - I answered the questions over the phone. I think I even mentioned it in the blog that I was pretty happy to be doing all my medical stuff over the phone. But, it never occurred to me that they could/would bill me - when I was not the one who initiated the communication. Well  - I gave an A+ and a gold star to the nice man at Medicare who explained it to me in a very carefully worded explanation about how things are *different* these days. 

It's a new world. If you get a call from anyone, the first thing you should say is, "Will you be charging me for this phone call?" Then hang up. 

Remember the saying, "Living well is the best revenge." I just need to stay well - so that I am comfortable hanging up on them when they call in 2023. And my deepest sympathies to anyone who is going through any kind of situation involving appointments/treatments/meds/etc. I do not mean to make light of the situation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment