Sunday, May 2, 2021

Cherry Cheesecake Mail (robin's nest)

 


Remember a few days ago when I posted the adorable piece of cake that GraceE mailed to Mr Wilson?

I just saw this on Pinterest. No directions, just a list of materials:

Ingredients include: cardboard, upholstery foam, ivory paint, tan caulk, red Crayola Model Magic, clear silicone glue and some red food coloring.

Link to the blog with more pictures


There is a link in the link above to her apple pie mailing. This is what she has to say about the apple pie.
***
Last month, after I sent my brother, Kevin, a cake postcard for his birthday, my brother, Ken, requested a slice of apple pie for his birthday. Jokingly, of course... but I took it as a challenge.

Mission accomplished.

It took six attempts (and lots of upholstery foam, clear silicon caulk, almond caulk, cardboard, yellow food coloring and yes.... actual cinnamon.) But, I finally managed to make a mailable slice of apple pie. I'm not sure if I'll create any more of these soon. It was a struggle to get it to look right AND stay together. I think my husband was ready to kill me. For about three weeks, I obsessed (and actually dreamed at night) about new and better ways to make this crazy thing.

***
Her last post is from 2016 - so I don't think she has time to blog any more.


****

When I was in Chicago, a pair of robins started building a nest in the window box on their front porch. Then mama laid 3 eggs. Hopefully, they will hatch without any natural disasters. The nest is positioned where the grandkids can stand inside and watch. It's easy to sneak up to the window without alarming the birds. 




2 comments:

  1. Those blue Robin's eggs .. oh-my-gosh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree -- once in awhile, I see half of a robin eggshell on the ground and I am tempted to bring it home - but, I restrain myself. Babies hatched yesterday. I will post photo tomorrow.

      Delete