Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Alan Blackman's Santa + more Peanuts

I ran across this whilst looking for what year Janet's Santa stamps came out - and it seemed like a good opportunity to feature Alan Blackman again. If you are new to the blog - and don't know who Alan is - you may find out more about him through the blog's [Search] feature - or there are a couple links below.

I am not going to buy the elf stamps this year - but I think this style of lettering would look very nice with the elves.

This envelope, by Alan Blackman is from his series, Letters to Myself. Alan and Cheryl Adams were the two people who launched my whole obsession with envelopes. You can learn more about Alan's envelopes at his website. Alan's Envelope Pages < link to envelopes. Alan's Home Page

I sent him a fan letter back in 2018 and was thrilled when he sent me a large envelope with several of his original envelopes - and some layout pages. It really knocked my socks off.

Photos of what Alan sent

***

So, I Googled to see if anyone had already written about what happened to the Peanuts gang. I only clicked on one hit - and I do not care for what the author came up with. It is not a book - it's just an article in  the Plattsburgh, NY newspaper. Newspaper articles are ephemeral. I'll post a link in case anyone really needs to use up some spare time - but, I think someone could come up with more interesting stories instead of just humorous quips that are topical rather than insightful and thoughtful.

https://www.pressrepublican.com/opinion/columns/what-became-of-life-for-grown-up-peanuts-characters/article_6d69372c-2a43-5060-a250-20d2ee0fad04.html

OK -- I allowed myself one more peek at the hits - and I like this article a lot better. It is an interview with Charles Schultz's wife. She guesses at careers the kids might have had - but then has a lot more to say about what it was that made Peanuts so popular - and insightful and thoughtful.

https://parade.com/241835/viannguyen/what-jobs-would-the-peanuts-kids-have-if-they-grew-up-charles-schulzs-widow-weighs-in/

We will return to this topic in late January - stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment