Wednesday, January 6, 2021

To Marji in Dec - valentine font (app-rant)


This valentine font probably appeared in 2020. I pulled it out to see if I could change the doodles and make it a holiday font. It's hard to be objective about my own mail. I'm writing this on Nov 30th. It would have been easy to add a gynormous rant about how I lost my holiday list of addresses. It will be easy to print it out again - what I can't replace are the tic-marks that indicate which ones I sent.

Normally, I could just go back and look at the photos - but I had not taken photographs of all the envelopes.  Grrrrrrr. So, here I am, trying to decide if I send another holiday greeting explaining that I lost my list. Grrrrrrrr. There is no way I am going to do that. I guess people will just have to decide what to do if they do not hear from me. I suppose I could email them. I don't even know if people like emails any more.

I've been listening to a book called Millennials With Kids. It was an odd book to choose to listen to. I figured it would be perfect for putting me to sleep. Instead, it is very interesting. Those millennials have changed the way a lot of things work. I think I heard the name that is going to be used for the following generation, but I can't remember it. The millennials pretty much grew up with all things digital and internet-y. They have turned organizing over to apps. 

The apps track all the various foods they buy which can coordinate with recipes and meal planning as well as which foods are on special at which stores. You can outsource a lot of thinking and organizing beyond meal planning and shopping. But, is that a good thing? Wasn't it a good mental exercise to arrive at the grocery store without your list and have to flex your brain to try to remember what was on the list. I remember how my mom and I would celebrate that our brains were still young and healthy because we recalled every single item that was on the list we had left at home. Currently, I am so brain-disordered that I can be holding the list in my hand and fail to pick up an item or two that is on the list.

Back to millennials - now with the pandemic, they don't go to the store. All this technology seems helpful. But, what if it backfires. What if people forget how to be organized on their own, without an app. And the bigger question I have: now that they do not have to think about any of this stuff, what are they doing with the brain power that has been freed up?

Hopefully thinking of very creative ways to care for their elders without stuffing them in retirement prisons.

*****
This seems like a rant - so I am not going to add a rant today -- check back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment