Monday, January 4, 2021

Kate's Etegami (pandemic rant - new strain)

Good news about Paul Antonio - Telmo says that Paul has stabilized. He is still in the hospital. But things are looking better.

*****

Today's rant is going to be front and center and top of the page.
STAY HOME if possible.
That new strain of the virus that has nailed England is on the rampage in the US. Maybe only 3 states (when I wrote this a couple days ago) - but when it is literally on both coasts - it's inevitable that it will hit every state. It's here. Luckily, it isn't more lethal than the original strain - but if the health system is overwhelmed with numbers of people, it's going to be pretty grim. I know we were all so excited about the vaccine and we were all ready to turn the corner -- but my intuition tells me that we just have to hunker down and be more cautious and vigilant for a while longer.

In addition to seeing way too many heartbreaking obituaries locally, I am hearing too many stories from penpals and friends that are unsettling to say the least. I'll spare you the list of details and just have a little rant that if the pandemic seems blown out of proportion - it's probably because it has not touched you personally - and trust me -- when it starts nailing people you know - it's real.

****end of rant


This postcard arrived in early 2020. KateR and I had been discussing etegami, a very cool style of drawing simple pictures and adding some words. I was hoping to cover the topic in 2020 and I don't even know if this already ran. Maybe 2021 is the year to launch the etegami project. Feel free to Google *etegami* if you are interested. It's done with a brush. A brush marker works nicely.

***

This address was on an envelope that arrived at the 420. I love quirky penmanship but instead of keeping my notebook of examples, I am going to just keep images of most of them.
It would be fun to watch her write. It looks like she writes along the edge of a ruler - and then has some *flings.*




 

4 comments:

  1. I wish everyone agreed with your pandemic rant! I am getting ready to go pick up my groceries with curbside pickup, which I’ve been doing for months now. I will continue until it is safe again, which may not be until summer. Good news about Paul Antonio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sending a comment. It's always comforting to find some like-minded people.

      Delete
  2. Many thanks for the update about Paul Antonio. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully there will be more good news - I'll keep posting updates as I hear more.

      Delete