Saturday, January 16, 2021

From AmyG, CathyG and Faye(last 3 from Sept)


Grrr at the PO for the Sharpie on the stamps. 
Above is from CathyG.


Card above and envelope below from CathyG 



Card above and envelope below from Faye.
I think the card was made with metal that rusts and tea.
Maybe not.


Last three from September exchange.
I've just filled the first half of January.
It is still two days after T-day and the dream being organized is alive and well.
We shall see.
***
It is now afternoon on the same day that I posted all of the September envelopes and I have just discovered that all the posts say November, so, I have to go back and edit them.
Grrrrrrrr
***

It was fun to have a couple people add some names to the list of American artists who are household names. Edward Hopper and Georgia O'Keefe.
I was annoyed with myself that I did not have those two on the top of my head.
One more just came in - Dale Chihuly. Yup - he deserves to be on the list.
I guess I should Google and see what pops up:

10. Alexander Calder
9. Norman Rockwell*
8. Jean-Michel Basquiat - Dale Chihuly
7. Roy Lichtenstein
6.  Edward Hopper *
5. Mark Rothko
4.  Keith Haring -- Grant Wood
3.  Georgia O'Keeffe*
2. Jackson Pollack*
1. Andy Warhol*
 
OK -- the first two that popped into my head - are also 1 and 2 on this list and Georgia, is 3.
I'm not sure Keith and Mark would make every list. I'd put Chihuly in there.
But 7, 8, 9, and 10 -- I agree on them.
Grant Wood is the main one that I think this list should have.

I am shocked that I did not think of Alexander Calder -- inventing the mobile should put him at number 4 or 5.

Another list had Jasper Johns -- and I think he should be on the list -- I'm surprised I didn't think of him considering how much he used the alphabet.
Claus Oldenbeug might be in the running.

****

While we are talking about art, I heard something fun in an interview with the editor of Thrasher magazine, which is celebrating 40 years of devotion to skateboarders. The Olympic Games were going to add skateboarding in 2020, but the games were canceled.

During the interview a Thrasher guy (editor or photographer, I do not recall) said that they had no interest in covering skateboarding as a sport. They consider it an art. He said, "You could make guitar playing an olympic sport. It's a physical activity." He had more to say - but, it was fun for me to hear the reminder that flying through the air is a lot like slinging ink or paint.

This is not the first time that I have brought up the comparison of physical activities with art. I truly feel they feed the same yearnings. It's fun (validating) to hear other people who share my perspective.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful column and an interesting list, as a result. I would like to have seen Mary Cassatt's name on there, too. But I do love Georgia O'Keeffe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my artist friends had Mary Cassatt on her list - and I agree - I think lots of people would recognize her work - even if they could not come up with her name.

      Lee Krasner and Judy Chicago have also been mentioned.

      Delete