Friday, January 22, 2021

Amanda Kammarada (The Gardener)

Good news. Paul Antonio in feeling much better. He posted a video (or two?) on his IG. 

Link to message from Paul Antonio

******

Link to Amanda's blog 

There are tons of youngsters who love lettering and have websites, blogs, and tutorials. I am always on the lookout for places to send the beginners. Some of the old-timers like to snag ideas from the youngsters, too.

There was a pin on Pinterest that linked to Amanda about ideas for mail art. It was ok - but, I thought all the links she offered in this post were a better opportunity for surfing.

The image that caught my eye was this one:


She doesn't have a stamp - so I would insert my 2-cents that you should have a stamp in mind first. 
Below is an idea for the back of the envelope that is lots of fun.


****
After that warning a few days ago about the movie that I didn't even want to admit I had watched, I am happy to report that I found a movie that I can recommend if you like gardens that are larger in scope than your back yard.

WARNING: the first 1/3 of the movie is painfully slow because they give all kinds of preliminary information about a garden that is going to knock your socks off. At first, you do not see much of the actual gardens - just a few close ups. Finally ---- they start wandering down the paths and it gets interesting. And then about 2/3 of the way through - your jaw is dropping.

By the end, I was in love with the story and I will not spoil the punchline. I ended up appreciating the slowness of the beginning because the whole point of a garden is that you have to have patience. You have to wait years to see how it is all coming together. So watching the film gives you a taste of patience. There are some features other than plantings that took a long time to build, too. If you are opposed to gardens, you might want to just fast forward to the non-plant items.

Another reason I loved the story is because the gardener did not have formal training so he followed his intuition and the garden is now recognized as a masterpiece in gardening.

I found it on Amazon Prime.
You can also get it on DVD through Netflix.
The Gardener -- is the name of the movie.
The man is Francis Cabot and the garden is Les Quatre Vents in Quebec.
While you can see a lot of images and read more about the man and his garden, it might be more fun to watch the film first. Or perhaps everyone already knows about it -- and I am living under a rock.

It reminded me of another film, A Man Named Pearl, who created a remarkable garden on a smaller scale. I can recommend that film as well. And when I was checking Kanopy, they have some more films about gardens. Nothing like piles of snow to get me in the gardening mood. The mood always melts right along with the snow. But, it's a nice diversion for now.





No comments:

Post a Comment