Tuesday, January 12, 2021

From Janet in Sept (bird ) + Chuck's mushroom (Adam Sandler rant)

I have a weird feeling that this one already ran so, I will post a second one. I like those black corners. Normally, I am not a fan of corner decoration but for some reason, these just look right. Maybe it is because they look like photo album corners.

Below is the one Chuck sent in September. I'm a big fan of containing a nice illustration on the left of the envelope even though it's not something I do very often. That is not a typical Chuck-style of lettering. It reminds me a little bit of some of Ben Shahn's lettering. I'm still writing on the 2nd day after 2020 T-day. Maybe I will have an update that makes more sense. Maybe not.


****

Jan 1 -- leaving a space for a rant that might come up between now and when this pops up.

Jan 7 -- As I watched the latest Adam Sandler movie, I thought to myself, "I would never tell anyone that I am watching this movie." Back in the 90s when Adam first hit the scene, my boys watched his movies and I'd watch them to see what in the world kids were watching. Most of the other moms would recoil in horror at Adam Sandler. I actually enjoyed the movies (in spite of some parts) and I thought his films always had a really good moral-to-the-story at the end. It seemed like he was trying to teach some good lessons to the people who needed them and he realized that he had to use some pretty teen-friendly humor to connect with his audience.

So, I was curious about his latest movie and started watching it. Oh.My.Gosh. Maybe it is because I am a couple decades older - but with the changes in what constitutes *humor* - I'm feeling like a true granny. As I said, I never thought I would even tell anyone that I had watched it. Although, his movies always include actual granny characters which in some strange ways might be inclusive. I don't know. I just hope none of my readers think I am completely off my rocker. 

So why am I telling you? Because when it got to the end, he was still doing what he does -- and telling a story that illustrates why it is better to *be better.* As my dear friend signs off every email:

Everybody does better when everybody does better. -Paul Wellstone

I was going somewhere with this -- and now I have lost my train of thought.

Grrrrr

Note to self: put in the name of a movie that you do recommend.


2 comments:

  1. He is on my list of never watch can't stand him

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, I love your comments! Over the last year I have been annoyed because Adam Sandler movies have been playing on many cable channels quite often. I would grumble (or worse) around the house in annoyance. It now occurs to me they are running them because young people like them and so many of them are stuck home. I agree, his movies may contain good lessons, but I cannot fathom the vulgar humor or socially questionable behavior (peeing on walls, for one) and worse. Sigh. So, thanks for sharing. I wondered if I was alone in this concern. Love the Paul Wellstone quote.

    ReplyDelete