Friday, May 6, 2022

B'day from Maggie - Salsify - sandwich cookbook


I need to do some plaids. I need to dig out my pointed nibs. So pretty - thank you Maggie. Very springy - and spring was a bit slow showing up. I'll keep my yearly rant about weeds to a minimum. 

That was it.



Has anyone ever heard of salsify? I had never heard of it until I was flipping through an online book with 400 sandwich recipes. 

Salsify is a superfood worthy of the name, rich in fiber as well as nutrients like iron, vitamin C, thiamin, calcium, potassium, and phosphorous. It has a mild flavor that some compare to oysters (thus its nickname). Others say it's closer to the flavor of asparagus or artichoke, while still others find it more similar to the nutty Jerusalem artichoke. 

Now I want to try some. 

Here is a link to the cookbook:

https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/the-up-to-date-sandwich-book-400-ways-to-make-a-sandwich-1909

The whole Public Domain Review site is an epic rabbit hole that should probably come with a warning. I'm keeping a list of some other items to share if I run out of topics.

1 comment:

  1. My grandmother was a big fan of salsify. She made a soup she said tasted like oyster chowder but with salsify instead of oysters. My husband and I grew some for her. It's similar to a carrot, white, with lots of little roots off of the tap root.
    I love Maggie's calligraphy! So lovely!

    ReplyDelete