Saturday, October 3, 2020

From GraceE in June + covid comment



GraceE's envelope - on the day I announced that we were going to be kind to the PO - was a perfect example of a fun name, and a clear address. This one is fun, and it arrived way before I suggested we keep our addresses very clear.  I'm going to point out a couple things going on that I'm suggesting we avoid for now. Hopefully GraceE is OK with that. 

The black lines run off the bottom and the city/state/zip are within the area they use for the bar code. So - if you have an idea such as this -- you can ponder ways to work around the area that the PO uses. The balloon strings could have been done in pencil - and would probably have looked nice. Maybe even colored pencil. And the address would have fit nicely in one line.

*****
Normally, I do not talk much about personal stuff or current events, but I crossed paths with someone who ended up with covid and I got the notification that I needed to get tested. Since I have been very, very cautious, I'm offering a few tips about what transpired. I realize that there are all kinds of opinions out there -- and this will reflect my own ultra-careful perspective.

COMPLACENCY
How did I manage to cross paths with someone who was infected? 
I had not had any jobs since March and while it's been wildly entertaining to get things done around the house, when an old friend called with a couple super fun jobs - the lure of doing something fun blocked my better judgment. Over the summer, I have seen a few friends, outdoors, and with masks. So, it wasn't a big jump to agree to go pick up a couple jobs at a shop.
Red flag. 
Don't go to shops.
What was I thinking? I had a parking space right in front.
I could have told her to come outside to talk to me. Duh.

POLITENESS
My friend had a mask on, but then she took it off and I didn't say anything because I was being polite. 
Red flag. 
If someone takes their mask off - it should be a clear sign that they are not vigilant.
It was a good reminder to simply state the level of caution that I require and if my level is not respected, it's a good reason to exit.
I also plan to establish my level of caution if I am ever in a situation where I need to meet with someone.

NEGATIVE-ITY + TESTING
I'll jump ahead and report that I had the test and it was negative.
I will also report that it's too bad that so many people described the test as feeling like the swab went into their brain. I'm happy to report that it is a very quick poke (in each nostril) and it's clearly just in your nose. To me, it was in the realm of annoying rather than pain. I cracked my head on an open cabinet door the other day and that was way worse than the test. I burned my hand on a cookie sheet, that too was worse, in terms of lingering pain. I've had some bug bites recently that itched and burned so bad they woke me up at night. Again -- much worse. So, if you are in a panic about having the test - relax. The residual weird feeling of the poke was gone in a couple minutes.

MOTIVATION + RIPPLE EFFECT
Motivation to remain hunkered down.
While I, too, am weary of the isolation and inconvenience, going through this episode gave me some wonderful motivation for continuing to isolate.
This was a two-step learning process.

Step one - was when I got the text from my friend - telling me that she was positive and that I should get tested. The very first thought that went through my head was:
That #$%^&*ing (insert friend's name)
I was angry at her for being reckless -- and a spreader.
But wait a minute - I guess I was reckless in going out to a shop, so I couldn't blame her entirely.
All I could do was kick myself for having a lapse in judgement.
She was just living her life.
She has shops and employees who probably want to keep working.
It was all on my head.

Step two - 
It dawned on me that if I was positive, I would have to contact a few people - and tell them.
And, I pictured them having the same response that I had - only directed at me.
That #$%^&*ing Jean!!!

Wow. Maybe some people feel that way about me all the time -- but I sure don't want to cultivate some new ones. 

RIPPLE ONE
One of them would have been a lovely lady who is in her 80s -- and who was deliriously happy that I was able to help her send out a mailing that was going to brighten the mailboxes of 30 people. Here she was - doing a lovely thing - and just caring about making the envelopes special -- and I might have had to call her.

RIPPLE TWO
And Mr Wilson. If I was positive, it would have messed up his life. He makes several runs a week for a food pantry. He just drives a truck and has no contact with people - but he probably moves close to a ton of food a week. There are no subs waiting to haul food to food pantries.

RIPPLE THREE
And my daughter - who is planning on me coming to help around the house so she can put in 2 weeks at her job - doing quarterly tax filings. It's not like she can just pick up the phone and find a substitute to come into her home - where they are patiently waiting for things to change. 

It was sobering to ponder the ripples that might have gone out.
I only listed three -- it was surprising the number of things that could have been affected.

RISK AVOIDANCE
I will do everything I can to reduce my contact with people until  I feel there is a vaccine that is reasonably safe. 
I do not want to be a spreader.

BACK TRACKING
I was interested in finding out how my friend was infected. She had had dinner with someone who did not realize that they were positive and had symptoms appear a day or two after the dinner. I did not ask if they were outdoors or indoors. It does not matter to me. I'm not going to spend any time with anyone other than Mr Wilson - face-to-face without a mask. 

We've had two guys show up at our house to do some repair work. Both asked if we wanted them to wear masks, because we were wearing them. We shrugged and said, "No, that's OK." From now on, I'll require masks on anyone who comes to the house. It's not about being polite. It's about being careful and consistent. I do not have faith in the furnace company or AAA battery charger technicians to contact me if one of their workers gets sick. It's on my head to minimize risk.

I hope I don't sound preachy. All y'all are free to decide on your own. I am only offering this lengthy discourse because I felt like complacency and politeness had been sneaking in and by reading about my experience, it might help others stay vigilant as the pandemic continues to wreak havoc.

*******
INSERT - real time comment:
I wrote this post on Wed -- lots in the news over the next two days, eh?
*******


I'll be gone for a couple weeks -- and when I return, I will ponder some additional ways to give us some projects to fill our hours. Or some uplifting thoughts. Spoiler alert -- I have some really uplifting mail to share.

I just read an article in the NYTimes about an 86-year old woman in the UK who was looking for some way to fill her hours during lockdown. She started a blog - to offer encouraging words -- and it's been wildly popular. I will look for the link and post it -- at some point. Or, you can Google:

Lockdown 85 year old blogger UK


Bear with me over the next two weeks - as I will probably ignore the blog and whatever is posted will be running without any edits....and some of it was written during the summer.

I do have all my exchange envelopes ready to go -- and lists will be sent on the 5th.
YAY!!!! 
The exchange is the high point of my month.





3 comments:

  1. I inserted the comment - before I read all the way to the bottom -- so it was amusing that I did not think I would be editing any of the posts for the next two weeks. The only thing I predict is that unpredictability will be the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO glad you're negative Jean! And SO sorry you had to go through all the panic, etc. The one thing I wanted to reply to is your comment about the workers asking YOU if YOU wanted them to wear masks. SO, that is so nice they're asking YOU, as I'VE had to be the one to ask workers who come to my home to please put on a mask! I shouldn't have to. So irritating, as I never know how they're going to respond. #stressful! Anyway, I'll stop now, as I don't want to go off on a rant, but that just surprised me (that they asked you!) Again, glad you're ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- as hard as it was to go through the process, it did give me some clarity that I can put to good use. It seems that the lack of clarity has been the source of a lot of frustration.





      Delete