Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Paint by number (off topic)



We are skipping an envelope today because this makes me happy.

A friend of mine sent me an image of a paint by number project she had just finished and it was gorgeous. I always thought that paint by number could be so much better than what it usually is and -voila- somebody read my mind and improved them. It makes me happy when someone implements one of my good ideas without me even asking.

If you want to paint photorealism, you learn some basic drafting techniques - or you use photographs and methods to transfer the outline. And then you learn some color basics. And then you do a type of painting that is very similar to paint by number. So -- this is simply streamlining the process and providing better art supplies.

If you think it is not-creative to just fill in spaces -- you should know that a lot of artists who come up with wildly creative ideas end up spending a ridiculous amount of time executing the idea doing activities that are 100% mindless. So - there is no shame in just cutting out the drafting and color mixing part of the process and filling in the image.

So -- if you have a lot of time to kill, here is the website.

Oh, I should link to my blog post about Sol LeWitt. You can find it by doing a search of his name. His painting were very much *paint-by-number* as were a lot of people in the colorfield camp.
So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment