Sunday, March 15, 2020

Semi-Off-Topic Sunday - Benoit Furet

This could be an envelope.
Some of my regular readers are calligraphers. I could easily do two blogs, one for calligraphers and one for non-calligraphers, but I rather enjoy the melding of the two.

John Neal, seller of anything you need if you are a calligrapher, featured Benoit Furet in his magazine, Bound and Lettered. It is a wonderful magazine. I see a lot of pins on Pinterest that lead back to Benoit.

Does anyone know how to pronounce his name?

The first two images are from his blog. The third image is from his website. My favorite thing about his work is how he takes traditional designs and morphs them into his own.

the blog post with these images



the current page of his blog - where you can scroll back as far as you like:

Benoit's blog

His website:

http://www.anachropsy.com/?lang=US



3 comments:

  1. BEN-wah FOO-ray is about as close as I can get writing it down. That first E sound in BEN is kind of a pinched U sound made more forward in the mouth, and the "ray" is somewhere between ay and eh. I have a classical vocalist's working knowledge of French pronunciation and a friend who attended one of his classes this past year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    thank you for this article & your appreciation of my work :-)
    I usually ask my friends from north America to call me Ben, that's easy to pronounce for every one ;-)
    but if you reallwant to know, here is the phonetic transcription : bənwa fyʁɛ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had his website bookmarked for years. He always has good work on it.

    ReplyDelete