Sunday, March 8, 2020

Off-topic Sunday - Paige's wedding photo

I met Paige several years ago when she was living in Des Moines. We worked on some events at the art museum. She was so creative and I will never forget the first time she stopped over at my studio. Her jaw dropped open and she said, "I want this. THIS. I want this. How do you get this?" I wanted to say, "Well, first you have to find a husband." But that's too depressing. And I didn't want to imply that finding success in a an art career hinges on finding a partner.

The reality for a lot of people - especially women - it's hard to have a solid career in the arts if you have to pay all the overhead by yourself. I met way too many rock star calligraphers over the years who admitted that they actually would not have made ends meet but for the shared living expense with their partners.

Paige moved to California and I have followed her on IG. I was so happy to see that she had crossed paths ceramics (hand thrown and hand built pottery). At first, I thought to myself, Good luck with that (as a career). Ceramicists (potters) are a dime a dozen. It's a very difficult scene to break into. But, dang - she did it. And then, the frosting on the cake -- she met Mr. Perfect and they moved back to Colorado. Paige had gone to college in Gunnison.

She posted this photo right after the wedding and it is stunning. The groom's hat just makes the photo. If he was not wearing a hat - and there was a round head shape -- it would not have the same impact. It would still be a very nice photo. But the square hat shape and the square veil are just gorgeous.

So -- off-topic -- but a design lesson that you might keep in mind on your envelopes. We mostly have stamps and that little rectangle is a nice shape to repeat here and there - in different sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment