Saturday, June 22, 2019

Bonus Post - Two from Samantha in May

Today's regular post is below.

This one is getting posted promptly because it knocked my socks off. Other May exchange envelopes are scheduled to run in August.

Samantha-or-just-Sam (I'll stick with Sam) is a new exchanger. I asked her how she found the blog and will have to go back and find the answer. There were parts that intrigued me.

I love-love-love this kind of drawing. My memory is foggy - but I think she might have said that this was inspired by one of mine - and if it was, I might know which one - which might be why I was drawn to it.

Anyhow - I love-love-love it.

Her other envelope is below. It's super fun. And I love the tagline - the elevated envelope queen. I remember those stamps - all art done by kids. I loved those stamps. Kid art is always inspirational.

Sam has let me know that she is not opposed to my offering comments on her artwork.
One thing that I would have done differently -- have the two lines of the address relate to the two lines of the tagline to the right of Jean. I would have made them flush left and start right under the W. I would have matched the point size and spacing.

On second thought - if you picture the 2 address lines starting flush left with the Wilson  - that might have made the vertical *line* (line-up) too strong. The cancel is an added element over which we have no control.  The address lines might have been fine if they were flush left and lined up with the J.

She set the bar really high when she sent the blue people. Every envelope will be compared to that one. Sorry. We will try to refrain from doing that, but we will not succeed. And this probably explains why I am so critical of my own envelopes. It is because every once in a while I pop out with something I love --- and I wish I could do that every time. (and I could if I had time and unlimited art supplies - but I don't)

Sam: Feel free to correct me about any of the things I mentioned that I may or may not have remembered correctly. I don't have time to dig back through the emails at this time.



This is the one - of mine- that reminds me of Sam's blue people.


1 comment:

  1. hi j, the idea 4 the blue people was birthed out of my experimenting with the not lifting the pen from the paper doodling which i was playing w/@ the time. they 1st started as just faces w/expressions then i added the bodies. i was doing so much design experimenting that i was “blue in the face” hence my title for that envelope. i was also playing w/my new watercolors & the watercolor envelopes u so kindly made 4 me 2 experiment with. it was only afterwards that i spent a series of days sifting thru ur entire back log of posts & saw ur ppl!

    ReplyDelete