Saturday, June 8, 2019

Bonus Post - Critiques

If you clicked on the link to the Graceful Envelope, this one (by Christy Robb) was a co-Best in Show along with Sherri Trial's. Sherri is a pen pal. Christy is someone who found the blog and then contacted me. We even had one meet-up in person. We are the same vintage and both had some graphic design experience back in the olden days before everything was done on computers. Designers had to hand letter layouts for clients, so both of us came to calligraphy with some good basics in how letters are constructed.

The topic of critiques has come up with one of the newer exchangers. She asked if I had time to critique. I always have time to critique. That is one of the essential skills that people learn when they take classes in art. I have gobs of respect for people who have natural abilities and inclination to make art - but no time or interest in taking classes. Some people think critiques are mean. That's fine. You are entitled to your opinion. I often encourage people to live a critique-less life - if it feels right.

Sorry to repeat this for the umpteenth time, but it is so true. Kurt Vonnegut wisely said:

“Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something.”

On the other hand, if people want tips for how to improve, they should be able to avail themselves of critiquing. I do plan to do some critiquing on the blog - but I have to tell a story. Long, long ago, at a calligraphy guild meeting a lovely person who had not taken many (any?) classes came up to me and asked me to critique a piece she had done. I politely told her which parts I thought were the strongest and then pointed to a couple areas where I thought it could be improved. She thanked me and walked away.

Another person who had been observing the conversation waited for the first person to be out of hearing range and then she said to me, "I can't believe you ripped her apart like that."

Excuse me.

Obviously the comment stung and I probably tried to explain that critiques, ones that are requested are not "ripping apart." But, the person who saw me as brutal was someone who had opinions that were etched in stone. I'm not sure I could have said anything that would have softened her perspective.

So, I have some friendly advice to send to Christy. Her versals are lovely. The layout is perfect. The details are in perfect balance. One of my biggest *whines* is about people who do not use enough contrast. Often times the small lettering is too big. In this case, the small lettering is perfect in size. My only suggestion is to Christy - and everyone - always have some perfect little block print letters in your tool kit. I will not elaborate on the exact details on the tiny lettering - unless Christy asks for it. I am just mentioning it because I know she has the skills to do really perfect tiny lettering.

I hope that I had enough disclaimer ahead of this comment. As I said, I do get requests for *more lessons* and I am happy to do so. But, I need people to understand that it is no fun to just dump lessons on you unless I can also critique. Everyone has the ability to look at something and replicate it. The critique is just pointing to details where the replication could be a little closer.

If anyone is shocked and disappointed in me for critiquing - you should probably find some other blog where they gush over the perfection of everything. I know that is a popular perspective. I would never try to change those minds. But, it's not how things work here. I'm pushy. Put a picture of me on your dart board. I'd be honored.

A regular daily post is below.

2 comments:

  1. Criticism is not helpful and can be hurtful, but a critique is much different. The example you used above is an excellent technique to use. Something good. Something not so good and a way to correct or strengthen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the additional perspective. I should probably add something to the exchange - if exchangers would welcome a critique, they could let me know. As I said - if people just want to do their own thing - that is perfectly fine with me.

    ReplyDelete