Thursday, November 5, 2020

The Thursday Extra


Another titling option besides ranting/lamenting/musing is the good old *extra.* My fellow dinosaurs remember in the movies how little paperboys would run down the street yelling "Extra, extra, read all about it."

Troy sent this link. Thank you, Troy. All y'all are welcome to send items that you see that you think are a good fit with the blog. BPPJackie sent an adorable envelope idea that will be popping up soon. Thanks, BestPenPalJackie. Jackie gets to be the official BestPenPal because she nailed quantity - and she is definitely in the top ten for quality. I truly do not have a ranking system -- but our story is sumthun' else. On so many levels. Details to follow.

Here's the article Troy sent.

Link to dead letter office article

Wow. This article resonated with me in several ways. And it is serendipitous to have it appear just a couple days after I found an amazing resource for how to deal with the final pile of ephemera that has ended up at my house.

I tried to get my mom interested in blogging and posting her life story along with photos, but the idea didn't catch her interest. I'm going to put together a family blog for my grandkids and I was feeling a little overwhelmed at how to even tackle the project when, as luck would have it, I stumbled across Marion. More on her in upcoming posts.

This is the line from the article that made me think about our current situation:

My research on that letter uncovered the saga of four brothers who emigrated from Eastern Europe and experienced both the wide-eyed possibilities and crippling tragedies of life in America. 

Most of us have sagas in our family histories. We probably thought that we'd never have it as tough as they had it.

Surprise!!

IMHO we are in a 21st century saga of our own. Through my surfing, I find so many people who are wildly excited about possibilities. Concurrently - we are all in the midst of a crippling tragedy.

So, that's the word for the day. Possibilities. You may spin it in either direction  - but unless there is an asteroid on it's way - it is entirely possible that our pendulum will keep swinging.

Please correct me if I did not use the word concurrently correctly. I don't think I ever use that word.


No comments:

Post a Comment