Saturday, November 28, 2020

From Finn - Dec 2019 (Nakizumo wrestling)


 Finnbadge, aka Phillip - sent this lovely postcard. It must have come in an envelope. I've lost track of Dec 2019. It's always a mistake to load the photos and plan on writing the blurb later. It is probably not a habit that I will break. 

****
Not really a rant.

So what was that photo yesterday? The one that was similar to this one.


Remember the program (Becoming You) that I reported on where Japanese parents send their kids out on errands at a very young age - to instill confidence? Well, it seems they have another tradition that has gone on for 400 years called the Nakizumo Festival. You can Google it and read all about it and see lots of adorable pictures.

This is the first paragraph from Wikipedia:
Nakizumo) is an annual Japanese festival in which babies are held in the arms of sumo wrestlers in an open-air sumo ring. Two babies compete in a short match in which the first child to cry is proclaimed the winner. According to Japanese folklore, a crying baby has the power to ward off evil spirits, while a strong, loud cry indicates the child will grow up strong and healthy.


There are so many Japanese things that I just love. And then there are also quite a few things that are so different. As strange as this one seems, I'm pretty sure I would be first in line if I had a baby. I doubt I could have done it with my first one. But, I could have totally done it with the next two. As I recall, tips on surviving life with a baby that come from western sources often suggest that babies do need to do a certain amount of crying each day.

I only have one more episode to watch. I wonder if there will be anything as unexpected as this. The topic is talking - so it will probably be pretty tame.


No comments:

Post a Comment