Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Bonus post - Jane's Zoom class

Scroll down to the regular daily post.

Yesterday, I quickly posted the info about the free Zoom class to learn how to do wedge brush wreath's. Then I had time to check Jane's IG. Here is the picture she posted which might give a better idea of what she is teaching.


She has a lot of good stuff on her Instagram and I will post a link. If you are interested in Neuland, please do not follow any of her Neuland examples. She does every single thing that I do not like about Neuland that is just a shade off of what gives the style all of it's punch.

Here are the things that I think look super awkward. There are all kinds of kooky thins on the beginning and the endings of strokes. She has the short center cross stroke on the E. She lets the widest part of the some of the letters happen lower than the center which make the overall letter look droopy. And then there are the proportions. A lot of them are Roman proportions so they end up being a hybrid that is living in that zone where they are just awkward. 

Now, if you think they are gorgeous, you are entitled to your opinion. I think all the rest of her work is lovely. But -- I know some of you have had an interest in Neuland and I do not want you to think that I am recommending her Neuland. Unless you are looking for examples to avoid.

Again -- I am a big fan of doing variations of styles -- but the four I mentioned above are the ones that I recommend people avoid - until they have learned the original. Then you might have a reason to write droopy letters -- or you might stretch them into Roman proportions -- I'm not sure I've ever seen those thins at the beginnings and ends look right - but, if I ever spot one, I will post it. And the short center stroke on the E looks fine with certain styles -- but not Neuland. Again, if I ever see one of the rock stars doing it, I'll post it.

Link to Jane's IG


No comments:

Post a Comment