Thursday, January 2, 2020

STEALING -- from Alison - TopGun/Pen logo

This was a Dec exchange envelope.
I stole the flourish from Alison.


OOOPS.
This was late today because I forgot to set the time to 1 AM

The topic of *stealing* ideas comes up quite often in my local conversations and in emails. So, it's time for a friendly reminder that we're all about *stealing.* Remember the book, Steal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon? Austin has spun this concept into an entire career.

https://austinkleon.com/

If you have time - check out the books or maybe scan through the posts on his blog. Or, if you don't have time - here is a Cliff's Note's version of what he says:

1
Creative people are always looking at other stuff and absorbing ideas like a sponge.
2
Then they make stuff.

OK. That might be a little too condensed. But, please remember, the whole point of this blog is to post ideas that will inspire you if you are short on ideas. Some of you have too many ideas. Seriously - someone told me about having trouble sleeping because the ideas just kept coming.

But, if you don't have any ideas, help yourself to anything you see on the blog. It is always nice to mention where your inspiration came from. It has been my experience that people are flattered when someone likes their idea. Unless, of course, you turn around and start selling someone else's design. That's not OK. But for exchanging between pen pals - we can do whatever we like.

I recently appropriated the Top Gun logo for a friend. He is a friend of my son's. They both grew up with Top Gun as a favorite movie. He is also a very talented calligrapher. I made this logo for him. I think he should go to IAMPETH and hand out business cards with the logo. Speaking of IAMPETH - it is in Omaha, Nebraska in 2021 - so I will be attending. I might even attend in 2020 - in Atlanta - to get myself back in the groove and on the list to teach a class in Omaha. Or I could be lazy and just attend and hang out. It's a fun time.


No comments:

Post a Comment