Saturday, July 20, 2024

May to JeanW from JeanR - dog sledding & camp mail


This is from JeanR and I just remembered that Jean and her family used to spend their summer vacations in fire lookout towers in forests in the west. I need to pester Jean for some more details - like exactly where they were and what all was involved. And for sure -- fire lookout gets added to the list of careers that I started last month. Jean's card has a woodsy feel to it. She is still fond of camping.

***

This is an odd add on - it started when an article about Alvar Aalto caught my eye. He was a Finnish architect and designer who designed this stool. A classic from 1933, still made today.

The article sent me off on street view looking at an Aalto building where one can stay in Finland. From there, I wandered up to see some of the dead ends that the Google car had visited. I checked out the border crossing into Russia. And then I clicked on a word that had *nomad* in it. A couple, one from Germany and one from Switzerland  have moved to Finland to live a more sustainable life, to rescue sled dogs and to run a camp where people can come hang out with sled dogs or do some dog sledding and wilderness adventuring. 

I guess it was their writing that kept me interested. It's always fun to find people who are wildly excited about their *thing* - she said as she returned to addressing pre-written daily letters for her grandkids to receive while they are at camp. The parents are invited to drop off mail when they drop off the kids - and I want my grandkids' mail to be up to snuff. 




While this one is a little rough - it actually makes me wish I had more of these stamps..... I don't think I had thought of this option when I was in the Lichtenstein phase. 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment